What's the max resolution for a PC monitor?

I've searched the whole internet for an answer and i still for some reason don't believe the people.

I've wanted to know whats the max resolution for a PC monitor.

When i search it, the answers are always 7680x4800.

But i'm not sure if it's true.

Favorite Answer

A PC monitor will have a max resolution of it's own. I can't get a 1920x1080 monitor to scale up to 3840x2160, and a 3840x2160 monitor won't scale up to 7680x4320. If I want 2k (1440p), 4k, 5k, or 8k screen resolution then I have to go out an buy a monitor that supports that resolution. You can buy a Dell 8k 7680x4320 monitor for $3700 but you will also need a higher end DisplayPort 1.4 cable to go with it.

Your graphics solution, whether it be dedicated or integrated, will need to be able to support a higher resolution monitor. Your graphics solution will also need to have the correct ports for plugging it into the monitor. You also need to check to see how many Frames Per second the GPU will support at a given screen resolution.

Right now, 7680x4320 is the highest screen resolution a modern GPU like the GTX 1080ti will support but in the future that number will grow. 16k (15360x8640) at 240fps is being Targeted for VR headsets in the distant future. However, using a GTX 1080ti at such a screen resolution would be like trying to play modern PC games with a GT 230 at (2560x1440).

Your answer comes in two parts:

1. You should be able to find specifications for the maximum screen resolution for several of the high-end monitors. You cannot have more pixels than there are phosphor groups on the screen, and the largest current screen by that standard is 7680x4320 on the UHD monitors. That is a 16x9 format screen. Let's say you had a 60-inch-diagonal monitor in that format. The pixel count would be a little less than 150 pixels per inch.

2. None of that matters unless your video card and connectors can reach that resolution anyway. BUT consider this: At that resolution, you are asking your system to display 33,177,600 pixels per frame. An acceptable level of image presentation will require not less than 30 fps, or 995,218,000 pixels per second. That is just under 1 BILLION pixels. Your video card had better be pretty darned strong to handle that data rate. Remember, most computers top out at 3.2 billion CLOCK ticks per second, and there is no guarantee that a computer instruction equals a clock tick. Usually, they take several ticks per instruction.

Therefore, who CARES what is the highest number? The question should always be "what can your card support?"

I don't know where you get the idea that you can't trust these answers. I have to tell you that you are getting straight answers here. As to me? I have worked in the computer industry since my first real job in 1975, though I used computers in college as early as 1968. Yep, that's 50 years of computer experience. So I know this topic and I have no reason to lie to you.

If you STILL don't trust the answers you are getting, then maybe you don't know what you are asking.

That REALLY depends on the actual monitor AND the capabilities of video/graphics card, my friend.

• Lv 7

there is no theoretical maximum, but it is up to the graphics card to determine the actual resolution that is output, and right now, the most powerful graphics cards can output 7680x4320@60Hz maximum. and these cards are around $1,000!

• David

The maximum resolution depends on the kind of panel fitted to the monitor and the supporting circuitry both in the monitor and in the graphics card or computer.

• GTB

It depends on the specific monitor you have

That would be 8k UHD, 7680×4320.

However, that question heavily depends on what you mean exactly. What is "a PC monitor"? And how do you propose to get the video signals to that monitor? Is a composite monitor that is built of multiple panels still one PC monitor? Even if it is driven through multiple video cards and cables?

And which of the limits to monitor resolution would you consider binding? Commercial availability of the display? Bandwidth of the video connection? Performance of the video card while maintaining at least 30 fps?