What started the rise of cpnspiracy theories in the 2000s generation?

I need to know what caused the rise of conspiracy theories and conspiracy theorists in the 2000 era because i have noticed that conspiracy theories have been run a muck in the 2000 generation and why

• susan

Schools don't seem to be doing a good job of teaching young people how to distinguish between opinions and facts, and how to assess what is a convincing argument and what isn't, and deciding what is a credible source of information and what isn't.

Teachers will tell their students what websites are good and some that aren't, but they don't say why. Similarly, many teachers tell the students what to believe (about politics or social issues) but they don't say why. The skill that's needed and too often missing is the student's ability to think for themselves.

When I was at school in the UK, a long time ago, everybody thought nuclear war was imminent. I was later told that it was so bad that at the peak of the Cuban crisis our school let the kids play all day. After all, what good is education to a charred corpse? In that atmosphere I do not think there was much room for many other worries.

Since then many other things to worry about have risen up. Health, environment, diets....It seems to be a human condition to worry. Have you noticed how retired people start worrying about moles in their garden and noise?

When people do not have anything to worry about, they will find something to worry about, even if it is imaginary. Add the internet into the mix and anybody can find a source to back up their pet worry. This is the scary bit. It now feels like we are closer to a nuclear event, but people are worrying about minor or non existent things rather than the true threats.