Can I travel to Italy with a pending misdemeanor charge? It’s for DUI first time. Do I need permission from a judge?

Depends on your bail conditions.

My brother was in a similar situation and he had to ask his probation officer

You can't legally leave the jurisdiction with a pending charge. The ONLY question about asking the judge for permission is if they will laugh to your face, or wait until you leave to laugh.

I have not read the conditions of your release. If you are asking if all passengers on all flight leaving the U.S. are screened for pending charges, they are not. If you are asking about italian laws about entry, I do not know Italian law on the subject.

If you are out on bail, you can bet one of your conditions of release is that you do not leave the state, much less the country. Good bet that if you did go anyway, when you got to Italy and they scanned your passport and saw the pending charge, they would just put you on the next plane headed back.

Most first time DUIs aren't a misdemeanor, but I guess it depends on what state you're in. It's probably a good idea to ask a judge's office before risking it.