nt
nt asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

How does a 56 year old improve muscle?

I am 6-6. 180.

In the last year, I have taken up disc golf and lost a good bit of weight. 50+ pounds.

Cardio was my goal but losing the weight and not having to take BP meds is a welcome bonus.

However, because I am so tall & skinny, I am weak.

One thing I started doing is while playing disc golf, I try to get in 2-4 sets of push ups in. Sort of using park benches. I have to put one foot up to be able to do 8 of them.

So I know that will help if I continue.

What else?

Rather not join a gym because I don't need to spend $19 a month for something I can do free. Plus, although they say nothing down and no contract, i am skeptical of any deal where they get my bank account number. (Despite gret

The last part was supposed to be despite great credit.

Was trying NOT to join a gym or buy hundreds worth of equipment.

People joined a gym to lift weights. Do you have weights at home? If you want to gain muscle tone you need to lift weights not bodyweight

• ?

I've always imagined that the only reason almost none seek to improve muscle mass is that joint use becomes a premium cost after a certain point.

You can try to get to a point where you can benchpress 400lbs and you might make it, but then you have to maintain it or there won't be a point in doing it at all. Then if you blow out an elbow, that thing may never heal for the rest of your life, even if it would have healed within a year or so as a young buck.

I'm sure it's possible... just not generally recommended.

Definitely…no problem. Not sure if you are looking for specifics but stronglifts 5x5 is a good starting point.