why aren't some of my gauges not resetting and some running a little higher than normal?

I have a 1985 K20 chev suburban. i filled my gas tank and noticed that the needle was pegged more pass the "F" than usual. I then noticed that my oil pressure was showing higher than usual. gauges for temp and charging system were normal. now notice that when i shut car off and look next morning BEFORE starting it, charging system needle is all way to left as it should be, but temp is in middle (but goes to C once I start it), oil pressure needle is in middle (should be to left), and gas gauge is also not to left as it should be. seems they are "stuck" (except for the battery charging gauge). any idea as to what the heck is going on? thanks!

hi so the voltage stabiliser needs replacing.

• M.

Your gauges are about 33 years old.

Gauges are sensitive.

It's possible there is corrosion or wear in the areas where they pivot.

The sending units may also be 33 years old. They are likewise mechanical devices that could have problems from corrosion or wear.

Gauges don't "reset".

Your battery voltage should be approximately 14.4 volts with your engine running. If it's high, you could have high readings.

The "charging system needle" is a "voltmeter" and operates by itself.

The coolant temperature, oil pressure and fuel gauges operate in conjunction with a sending unit.

Your gauges have 2 things in common:

1. Power from the same fuse.

2. A common ground.

Your English is odd, but I understand what you are trying to say.

p.s. There are a number of ground straps between the drivetrain and the frame that may be injured from age or improper connections while trying to "jump start" a weak battery. Sometimes missing grounding is seen in various ways.

Source(s): -General automotive mechanic since 1972

Disconnect the connector to the cluster. Spray contact cleaner on the connector and the cluster. Reconnect connector. Check if the issue goes away. If not, time to see a mechanic.

• elhigh

That makes me think there's a voltage leak into the dash, possibly a weak short coming from the instrument panel's ground. If all the gauges are affected the same, that suggests an electrical problem that is affecting all the gauges at the same time.

• Joe

Electrical, or instrumentation problem.

I'd first check the voltage across the battery. It should be close to 12.6 Volts, when the car has been off for several hours. Start the car, and it should go to about 14 Volts, plus or minus 0.5 Volts.

If that's good, I'd check the ground connection at the instrument cluster.

Of course, it could be a failure in the instrument cluster, itself. That could get expensive.

correction to my question above - gas gauge should be all the way to the right when off but it's not - it's at gas level...