Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 years ago

Am I wrong to think that my son is too young to get married?

My son is 20 years old and he's in love with a 19 year old girl. They know each other since the time my son was 6 years old. They know each other very well, but I just think they're both too young to get married. My son is studying visual arts and his girlfriend is still waiting for her college's entrance exams' result. They insist on getting married, but I believe it's too early for them to do this. As far as I know they're both virgin.

• y
    Favorite Answer

Statistically, yes, now a days anyways. But it was not too young even a few decades back. Some still make it and due to that long time reltionship, they have some of the strongest marriages. To be honest, I don't think any of that matters. I think you should sit down with both of them, lay down what you see as the negatives, advice them to wait until their educations are complete at least, then wrap it up letting them know that regardless of what they do decide, you will support both of them. Then proceed forward in exactly that manner. The rift that can be created in these situations can alter the relationships for the rest of time. Much better to accept, keep comments to oneself, and enjoy the grandchildren and closeness that family can bring.

The first question I have to ask about this is whether or not your son's girlfriend is PREGNANT. Because if she is, that's what's behind this push for them to get married. And no, your son isn't too young to marry, not legally. He's an adult, and so is his girlfriend. My own parents married at 19 and 26, respectively, and they were still students when I was born. Of course, that was a different world back then, and the expectations were different. And my parents' marriage would have lasted longer, but my mom met another man when I was 8 and had an affair, and that ended that. It was a blow from which my father never really recovered. My mother hurt him badly, I know that now. And his eventual remarriage didn't really help him much. But none of what happened was caused by the fact that he was 26 when he married my mother.

Virginity has NOTHING to do with getting married. He's a legal adult, therefore, he's not too young.

• Amz

Yes, it does seem he is too young to get married, but you can't stop him. The only thing you can control is who lives your house and you should tell him straight up that you love him, but he and his wife can't live with you (if he hasn't already mentioned where they live)

No, you are not wrong and I agree with you 100%. Try to convince him to just get engaged for the time being.

Pre-nuptial agreement.

• They are over 18. It's none of your damned business.

Yes, of course. He is 20 years old, most 20 year olds don’t know crap about true love. I’m afraid he might regret it in the future, I personally believe that he needs to focus on his studies, get a good job or business, make some money, and when his life is in order, he can get married.