Should she pay me?

I'm a real estate agent and helped another agent while she was,on vaca show her clients a house. I could have said no I know. first time we couldn't get in because she didn't confirm, then she just assumed I would be available next night. 7pm, pouring rain, half hour away and the clients were there for an hour!! didn't get home until about 845. of course the loved the house and put an offer in (with their agent that was on vaca) shouldn't she at least give me something for my time and the fa t they actually put an offer in? I'm ticked and don't want to help her anymore.

• B

if you were not part of any written deal with her, she really cannot actually pay you. lesson learned big time.

yes, I think.

She "should" show her appreciation, but no, she is not obligated because you two do not have a contract.

In the future, with ANY agent you step in to help, you should have, in advance, in writing what is expected when a house you show for another listing agent sells. This could be between you and each individual agent, or the whole sales team of that particular Real Estate office you all work for.

The problem here is that you had no prior agreement. I think it is lousy that the other agent did not offer you SOMETHING for selling her listing. That sucks.

As you know, just showing a house is not the end of the listing agent's job. There are lots of things that happen after an offer is given and accepted (negotiations which can take up to a week with back and forth offers and counteroffers; inspections on the house and mechanics; requests for repairs; renegotiations perhaps, and paperwork galore.

Nonetheless, you should have been thanked with either some money, a nice dinner at a restaurant, a gift or a gift card. Not being acknowledged in some way leaves a thorn in your side, understandably so.

She can't pay you. Only the owner-broker that holds your license can distribute commissions. You can't officially receive any portion of her sales commission unless the broker agrees to something the two of you have worked out in advance.

Does she owe you something, morally? Of course. A decent person would buy you lunch or dinner or give you a gift card, just to say thank you. She should do something, but I get the impression that you have set your expectations way too high.

If she shows no sign of gratitude, then of course, next time she asks for something, say no.

She should pay you something for your work but she doesn't have to. Go ask her directly if she if going to give you anything for the work you did, if not at least don't ever help her again, but the embarressment or you asking her directly may be enough that she gives you something. You could take this up with the broker, they may ask the other agent about it in an effort to keep things within the office on a friendly level but if they won't get involved (and agent refuses to give you anything), nothing you can do about it.

• Jack

No. Certainly not simply because "they made an offer".

And certainly not if you ever want someone show for you when you can't make it.

I'm an investor who makes a dozen offers a year. An offer doesn't mean squat.

No one gets paid until the property closes.

Live and learn. She didn't share the commission, I see no reason to 'help out' any more with her.

• Judy

I'd think she should offer you something if the deal closed.

Is this really how agents compose written sentences these days? If so, you should be begging for every dollar you can get from her because you aren't going to be making money on your own.

• paul

lmfao , if you are really an agent , then you should know the answer to your question