Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 years ago

Do many Americans actually believe "Wakanda" is a REAL African country?

Ever since "Black Panther" came out in theatres, it seems like a LOT of Americans on daytime and afternoon talk shows have been name-dropping "Wakanda", and/or talking about "Wakanda" like it's a real country.

Is it just ME, or does it seem like a lot of Americans are getting dumber and dumber?

Do people NOT know "Wakanda" is a FICTIONAL country, that only became popularized after the "Black Panther" film came out?

When they talked about the movie on Steve Harvey's talk show earlier this year, people were carrying on in the streets about it- the way the people were carrying on about it, you'd think the Second Coming took place.

I wish the world WOULD get that worked up and excited over Jesus.

I am tired of hearing about all these comic

book movies and people idolizing characters in comic book movies.

Please help- thank you.

It's the Africa they think would happen if Europeans had not colonized them.. meanwhile they were happy to live in the stone age right before Europeans came and introduced them to the wheel and sneakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apr6g_NK06Q

Youtube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K5qVWG5CXU

Youtube thumbnail

• T'rone

Never even heard of it.

• Robin

Wakanda is a country located in Sub-Saharan Africa created by {Marvel Comics}

So Yes It Is Fake Fake Fake

• ?

Well we seem to be cut from the same cloth.

I have not heard about this. I don't watch daytime TV. Don't care to and don't have time to. I work. I run a business. Sorry, I know how politically incorrect that is.

I also am pretty savvy geographically - always have been. I have an appreciation for maps, particularly very old ones. But I regularly pull up the latest map of the African continent (I'm one of those smartypants people who know that Africa is not a country) to check for changes. Zaire, Belgian Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, it can be hard to keep up.

If I had indeed heard about this "Wakanda", I'd have pulled up the aforementioned map of African and looked for it. I may do that right now, just to check and see if anything else has changed.