Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 years ago

Authors and killing off characters?

With certain authors I've seen that if they kill of a certain character who just so happens to be a 'person of color' or LGBT they get slammed. Why, though?

I mean I might be disappointed if a short boy, like me, was killed off, but it isn't the end of the world. I wouldn't be having an aneurysm over a bisexual/gay character getting killed off.

So, why?

(Example: Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass. *Spoilers* She kills off a Queen in the series who happens to be black, but the Queens death is a key point in the story. She also kills of a love interest who has darker skin, but it isn't specified if he is a 'person of color'. A good amount of the ToG fandom gets their panties in a twist over the 'lack of diversity' in each of her series.)

Ah, yes I totally understand if there is a pattern of the author killing off poc characters. With the author I was mentioning, like I said she has killed two 'poc' in a row, but their deaths served a purpose. Without the death of the Queen the story wouldn't be anything. The Queen is never forgotten, and in each book she is mentioned. Her memory makes the main character develop and grow, all the while learning to let go and recover. The death of the love interest spurs another arc itself.

There are numerous reasons why people get upset about what they read or see in movies or TV.

Because when you write a cliche, you get ridiculed.

For years, white heroes and heroines used black characters as window dressing, killing them off like a red shirt in a start trek show. They just existed to be eaten by a crocodile or to fall off a cliff.

I think the readers identify with certain characters, so they are upset when their favorite characters are killed off.

If it something they're doing consistently in all their novels, as in they have 3-4 books out and in every one of them the first person to bite the dust is a person of colour, then it does stand out. In this case, I would also question whether they have some skin colour biases. This is of course unless the story line is one where one would expect a certain group of people to be targeted, like on board a slave ship, or a concentration camp.

If it's a random thing, then there's hardly anything to get upset about. That said, some people tend to see offenses and wrong-doings where there really are none. I think it also depends on the culture you are coming from. A black Brit will not have the same experiences, references, or world-views as a black American e.g.

well, seems to me like you are the one getting his panties in a twist. grow up.

• Athena

The times we live in.

Authors always make their person of color characters be the one killed off faster than their white characters because that's what movies do.

You NEVER see a white person be killed first in movies, writers follow that example.

Authors also follow the example of only straight characters can survive and be happy