Anyone heard of a moving company who goes with you to rent a moving truck (Uhaul/Penske), they are listed as the insured driver...?

...then they load/drive/unload for you? Never heard of it and want to make sure its legit. Thanks!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • james
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Were I live I can find a list of drivers who have police clearance to rent out there services. They include body guards, Armed or unarmed. to peddle trike drivers who take tourist around the sea front & such. You rent the vehicle. Driver has a flat rate per hour or day rate. You talk to him about. Normally if I want a truck. I go to the furniture section of town. Ask around. Always 1 or 2 drivers with trucks who want a job short or long. If man power needed they will hire dock boys. People who work the docks or wharehouse's as day labor. You here can also rent a Jeepney from the terminal with driver who will help load & unload. & laborer if you want to be big boss.

• 2 years ago

No but I'm def gonna start a company that does that is sounds so boss

• 2 years ago

A moving company that doesn't own its own truck? Stay away.

• 2 years ago

Couple handicapped assistance groups do something like that at times- they are 'Labor' providers for the moving to assisted living- or sometimes Hospice care. Need a moving truck rarely- so rent as needed, licensed driver since often 'client' doesn't have drivers license but the 'client' has the account for assistance, needs to sign off on the rental just as needed to sign for oxygen equipment, hear monitor alarms. Usual work is house keeping, cleaning, sometime a daily couple hours help with getting ready for day and breakfast, hygiene with wheelchair- the moving crew has the driver to get to docs appointments, grocery shopping using sometimes own vehicle, other times the 'Client' vehicle, other times as needed special vehicle rental. These groups are NOT advertised as 'Moving Companies' , handicapped assistance, elderly assistance or as housekeeping, cleaning service providers, valet service providers. a ACTUAL NAME OF THE COMPANY would be helpful, ACTUAL CITY OF OPERATION would be helpful as well. .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Nope. Sounds flaky to me.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

There's nothing illegal about it. You perfectly welcome to hire a driver to drive a U-Haul truck for you. My main concern in this situation would be for insurance on the contents of the truck, since the driver is not the actual owner of the property that's being hauled.

• 2 years ago

Sounds fishy to me.

If they are listed as the insured driver then they should be the ones behind the wheel driving the truck. If they're jsut letting you put their name on the paper but you'll be the one driving then they are offering to help you commit insurance fraud. You'll be sorry when you crash the truck and face a lawsuit for $80,000 (the approximate value of a U-haul box van), and criminal charges for insurance fraud.

If its a legit moving company that happens to use a rented truck for your move, then I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of legitimate companies rent equipment on an as-needed basis. But they should be handling everything just the same as if they were using their own truck - you pay the agreed rate for moving services and are not involved in their rental contract.

• 2 years ago

It seems like a reasonable business model. They do not want to overhead for the truck so they make you do the rental. However they can be something that makes sense or is standard to the business and still not be legit.

Call your local Better Business or Chamber of Commerce. They may have information on the business - especially if it is NOT legit.

Also ask the company for references and then check them.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Absolutely not. This is very weird.

If they don't have their own truck, THEY should rent the truck if they are providing the service, and then they will pass that charge on to you.

OR

If you want to rent the truck and use them only for loading/unloading labor, and DRIVE IT YOURSELF, that would be okay, too.

Do NOT put the truck in your name for them to drive it. That is HIGHLY unusual. You don't know their driving record, or whether they drink and drive. It is suspicious that they are even asking you to do this.

Call your car insurance agent for guidance. My concern is that YOU could end up being liable for any damage they cause with the truck, or any injuries they receive while driving it.

Be very careful.

• Laura
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

A moving company should have their own vehicle, have their own insurance to protect your items, and should properly pack and transport everything.

If they need a uhaul, they will go and get it, you should not need to be there with them.

This sounds like a scam.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.