What is the best AV receiver to manage many devices in a small room with 6 speaker and sub woofer home theater set up?

I currently have a Yamaha RX773 that is failing and use an older HK TS7 6 speaker system with a TS7 big subwoofer. I have an android box, PS3, Xbox1, Xfinity DVR, Amazon cube and at least one other HDMI device that I want to run from the receiver.

Room is a small 12x8 rectangular with a Haier 75in 4k TV on the wall.

Are these speakers still considered ok by today's standards?

What is the best receiver for my situation and do I need a 7.2 for this small room or can I go with 5.2? I want to spend under 1000. Thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

75" TV in a 12' by 8' room? Haier TV? It doesn't matter.

• Lance
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Yamaha is a good brand to take a look at, But if you want better quality and more features stick with an :"Avantage" model. Yamaha's better products are labeled with the Avantage line logo...Onkyo is probably the brand that is going to give you the most features for the dollar...Onkyo's top models are the RZ line...As a general rule 7.2 receivers will have more connections than 5.1 receivers do its just how the industry markets their product..The higher up the line you go more features appear more connections and more channels...Its not really absolutely necessary to do it that way but thats the way its done by almost all manufactures...You might also want to take a look at Sony Models some critics are saying that Sony offers more for your buck than others do. I find it hard to believe that they can out do Onkyo though...

• 2 years ago

If you have a fairly new TV and most (or all) of your devices are HDMI-based, you might consider connecting everything to your TV. You can get a HDMI switch if your TV doesn't have enough HDMI inputs. Then run an optical audio or digital co-ax cable from the TV to your receiver. This way you'll use your TV remote to switch between devices, and the audio will got to a single input on your receiver. This is the setup I use and its pretty convenient.

You can connect your non-HDMI devices to your receiver if you want but the receiver will only act as a pass-through for video - it won't convert, say, Composite Video to HDMI.

As for which receiver to buy, my experience has been that sound-wise there isn't really much of a difference between most receivers. You're mainly looking at other features - number and types of inputs, bluetooth connectivity, and so on.

• 2 years ago

go by your ears,crank it up waaay up, any break up in audio? tweeter squeaking?

if it sounds good it is good

if the speakers are not up to what the receiver can deliver,replace them

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

That room is rather small.

I think more than 5.1 channels will be too much

unless the room is fully dedicated to home theater.

• 2 years ago

It depends on what sorts of connections you need. While most receivers have tonnage of connections for satellite devices ( players, recorders, radios, so on), if you have several legacy devices,you may want to check to see if the models you look at have the kinds of connections they need. While it is possible to purchase various blackbox signal converters, or plug adapters (depending), it is also a cost and convenience issue to do so. If your intention is to go with only HDMI compatible equipment, or upgrade soon to these, not a problem. If your speakers are not self powered but normal speakers, know that this type is still the standard, and supported by all receivers and component audio. Always check possible electronic purchases for a good match with the gear they are going to run with. If you have a mid-grade, standard record turntable, be sure a phono jack is part of the receiver. Not all receivers have one anymore and without one, you will be left to buy a separate phono pre-amp. Some audiophiles buy an outboard one anyway, to increase the quality of their record playing, but this is a high end decision most median buyers do not have to be forced to make, just because. Some tables now have built in phono preamps to compensate, but classic, and better quality ones do not. Many receiver features suffer dubious cuts to their connectivity to save costs of production, especially in the area of switching, and external loop ability. If your system is complex and yet not component based, things like no tape loops, mean no ability to service equalizers, companders, many microphone types. No ability to independently address the pre-amp section or amplifier, can mean an inability to add an external amplifier, for example. No one can just address your needs off the cuff. you need to make a list of these, and research the market for the units that make the grade.

Most small spaces are not going to benefit much from 7.1 and cramming all the extra speakers into one a needless problem. If you are running stereo speakers right now, matching these to the new speakers needed can be a pain, doable, but Id consider looking at full matched sets anyway (audition these). Five point one is three in the front, and two to the back, or back rear sides, and a subwoofer( well, bass enhancer) 7.1 adds an additional pair to the sides/back which helps to scale for larger listening areas (movie theaters do this to accommodate all those rows of seating positions.) Not really an issue in a small room.

• 2 years ago

You need to look at receivers while looking at their inputs and outputs sufficient for your needs. Good makes include Harman Kardon, Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer.

Frankly, a 75 inch TV in a 12X8 room is a bit much, and such a small room would not be able to give you any difference in sound when it comes to 5.1 or 7.2 setups.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.