reece asked in HealthMental Health · 2 years ago

Suffered with panic attacks and anxiety for a few months, im a 16 year old male, i get dizzy when in crowds, will i grow out of this?

2 Answers

  • 2 years ago

    Time is a treatment for panic attacks. People come to see the attack as a nuisance rather than a threat. Even so, I'd suggest at least making use of some good self-help advice. There's a psychiatrist and cognitive therapy expert, David Burns, who has popular books, like When Panic Attacks.

    Of course, not knowing you, I can't say what you really need. I'll say though that a lot of people like self-help for phobias, and if you're not satisfied you can go for professional help. I should mention that doctors are reluctant to prescribe the medicine for people your age. Therapy - CBT - is generally more effective. An official health agency in the UK, the Nat. Institute for Clinical Excellence, says self-help based on CBT also helps a lot of people.

    In a nutshell, therapy for phobia is making a list of situations, ranking them according to how scary you find them, and using that ranked list as your objectives. Imagining a situation can be an objective. Start with something really, really easy.

    The thing to remember is never go from A to B until you feel completely confident with A. Things that give you confidence are experience and slow breathing. There's enormous laboratory and clinical evidence showing that breathing therapy is effective. Two psychiatrists, Brown and Gerbarg, say a 10 or 20 min slow breathing exercise - 5 breaths a min - is good and 20 min twice a day is a therapy for anxiety.

  • Tina
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    I think that you should consult with a therapist. A therapist will be able to help you with your panic attacks and anxiety. Your therapist will also be able to help you and give you tools on how to not panic when in crowds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.