Could I ever be taken seriously as a scientist while being a 5 feet, 0 inch tall male?

I plan on studying physics and mathematics this coming fall semester, but I've wondered even if I do eventually get a degree, would i ever be taken seriously in the academic community, donors and fellow scientists?

Yes, the relative height of a scientist don't really matter. In engineering language it's the projected size of the balls of a scientist combined with scientific knowledge that makes a difference

I believe you may be experiencing a common phenomenon for students. Your mind is searching for excuses to invalidate your educational experience. It is looking for excuses to QUIT school because it's difficult. It will do this many times during school. The solution to this is to just write it down in a note book, disregard it and continue. It is just being your brat child. Keep going, there is a reward at the end of the tunnel.

You may study this in psychology class or not. It does not matter. There are Midgets, Dwarves and little people in Engineering. Stature don't matter.

Fair winds!

definitely, if you are any good and know what you are talking about. Scientists come in all shapes and sizes. Shortness is one of the least atypical aspects that you will encounter among people who spend more time thinking about things of actual importance than worrying about social norms.

• Tom

Yes, there are LOTS of "Vertically Challenged" Scientists. You are judged by what you PUBLISH, not how you look.

NO!

All real scientists use SI. If you fail to even know your height in SI units ( about 150 cm) then you will be seen as illeducated and hardly worth being taken seriously.

I would bully you and give you wedgies.

People will feel they know you before they ever meet you from having read your work. Your appearance will be less of a factor in people's perception of you because of that. Although you will meet people dace to face in meetings and conferences a lot of communication will be via phone and email and through writen reports. Appearance is far less important in academia than other fields.

Yes...size has nothing to do with the amount of knowledge you possess, look pass this insecurity and follow through with your dreams. The payout and reward is much greater.

Your height is totally irrelevant.

Some of the top and most driven businessmen I know are less than average height. Ability is everything.

• R K

whether your taken seriously will depend more on your talent and ability than your height. your height is irrelevant.