Technically I have two questions about support groups and transgender?

My niece who is Thirteen is preferring to be called a boy and wearing boy clothes. Which I am fine with and accepting...When I ask her about how she feels about her body she really dislikes her breast but when I ask about the other male part she says not really she fine with what she has...Is that still trans gender or??

Also is there any support groups out that deals with this? For me and or her? Her parents say they are accepting but they really aren't.

I don't know about any support groups, but there are gender therapists that you can probably find although they are commonly used to make sure that people are actually transgender so they are allowed to medically transition, but one would most likely be willing to sit down with your neice and figure out whether this is just a phase or if she is actually ftm transgender. I'm a trans guy myself (diagnosed with gender dysphoria, which she may have) and from my experience, as I realised I'm a guy at age 12, it's not as simple as just disliking your breasts. I don't know if this would be too intrusive, but you should ask her if she isn't comfortable with other parts of her body and if she wishes her voice sounded different or parts of her body looked more masculine, etc. Unfortunately, many children/teenagers these days seem to be confused by media and misjudge what their feeling as they go through puberty which causes them to believe they're transgender when theyre really not.

She is 13. Maybe the smart thing to do would be to leave her alone and let her find her way.

• reme_1

Get her tested by a doctor who specializes in gender dysphoria. The doctor will explain everything. You can get referrals from the gay center.

His parents are supportive and that is great. You do not need to interfere.

Transgender is to do with the person's gender identity, not the number of surgeries, they might not always want lower surgery or they might change their mind and start to want lower surgery when they are older. A lot of trans guys seem to have top surgery and settle for just that although a hysterectomy is expected after a few years on hrt.

For question 2 - I’d start with pflag.org. Spend some time on their site. Look for any chaptersnear you. Get your teen into gay youth groups and trans support groups. Find out where the nearest gay community centers are to you - they have them. They would also be in schools and pro lgbt churches.

For question 1 - very likely yes - that is trans.

That makes him your nephew, not your niece. It also means you should use he/him pronouns for him. What parts of his body he feels uncomfortable with is really none of your business. Just respect everyone’s identity.