Credit Slander, what are my options?

I’m 23 years old and am at a University, I live with my parents only during the summer months. My parents live in an apartment and when I was 19 and we moved there my parents made me sign on the lease because I was over 18 and the apartment wanted me to. Anyway times got tough and my parents eventually were taken to court for not paying rent, now I no longer live at home, I haven’t for the past two years. So of course I had to go to court because my name was on there, I drove in from school and I told the judge, “your honor I no longer live there anymore, I’m in school and I really don’t want this on my record as when I graduate I want to get my own place and one day hopefully own my own house.” The judge agreed and he ruled that I was dismissed from the case since I no longer lived there. I still have the document that says that. So the other day something comes in the mail from a collection agency claiming that I along with my parents owe $13,000 in total of unpaid rent. This means the apartment still reported my name even though the judge dismissed me from the case and because of it my credit went all the way down to 535! I am outraged! I work really hard to make sure my bills are paid on time every month. What are my options to remove this false information from my credit report?

• Yeti

If you were dismissed from the case, there will be a court writing reflecting it. You need that, and you need to read what it says. You may not have understood exactly what occurred. Go from there.

So you send the documentation you have to the credit bureau in a dispute of the debt. Simple.

Send them a copy of the judge's order.

• lucy

This is sad that you are stuck on this collection. The landlord was smart to put everyone’s name on the lease, thus has more people to go after or collect.

You have not lived at home for 2 years, which would make you 21 when you left. So how long did your parents live there (before) they were evicted?

Now your only hope would be to prove that during the time your parents lived there, that you did not, to (reduce) the debt that you might owe, or that you moved out and then was when your parents went through a hard time, thus did not pay rent. But to do this, would most likely need a lawyer to do so. .

Here is another problem besides the lower credit, is that if someday you want to buy a house, then won’t be able to with this collection on your record and guessing at some point the collection agency will file suit, especially for $13,000.

My step daughter had lousy credit and a judgment that she had to pay off all her debts to qualify for a mortgage.

• Maxi

A court dismissal does not extinguish the debt.

The problem I see is that you failed to get yourself off the lease when you moved out. The judge may have dismissed you from the case so that the eviction would not appear on your record, but if you failed to notify the landlord that you were moving out then, unfortunately, you are liable just as your parents are. Everybody on the lease is equally liable. Moving out without properly notifying the landlord does not let you off the hook. The only way to fight this would be to hire a lawyer. Even IF your parents pay the debt, you will still have credit damage.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

I think you misunderstood the judge. The judge may have alleviated you from the eviction action, but he can't dismiss your debt from the landlord's claim unless the entire claim (of unpaid rent) is dismissed (against your parents too). And apparently it wasn't dismissed.

While you feel shafted, the judge did you a favor. An eviction on your credit report is far worse.

you could talk to the judge about it

No such thing as credit slander.

Send a copy of the document to them or hire a lawyer to do it for you.