J.R.
J.R. asked in HealthMental Health · 2 years ago

Were any of your relatives or ancestors in The Great War or the Second World War?

I was a soldier in the Second World War. I enlisted at the ripe age of seventeen. I had to fib about my age just to get in. That wouldn't work in contemporary times. My dad was in the Great War. That was "The war to end all wars." I really felt a passion about what happened at that time, so that is why I enlisted.

I'm writing a book about of this. I did make another thread about this, but not everyone is on Yahoo at the same. So please excuse if you had read before.

I seek personal stories, either from you or your relatives. I have some great info so far, so thanks for everyone's input!

TEN YEAR OLD TROLL!

I figure you have all who were interested already, Dude.

• June

My mother was his girlfriend and my father was in the Navy.

My grandfather served in WWII. I have to tell you that I doubt you did. When did you join, from where, and served in what specific unit? If you are going to claim veteran status, you ought to provide details.

My maternal grandfather fought in WW I. He was captured by the Germans. He came here from England, so I always assumed he fought for the UK. I found out much later that he came here in 1908 and fought as a US citizen.

My father and my uncle, his brother, enlisted on the same day in 1942 and mustered out on the same day in 1946. My uncle fought in France with the US Army.

My dad served in the Army Air Corps. He was lucky. He got hurt playing baseball at Jefferson Barracks (Missouri) and was out of action for six months. He missed going to the Pacific with his unit, where they flew B-17s. Had he gone, I might not be writing this.

My dad didn't like to talk about his service except for stories about guys he served with and trained with. His days at Georgia Tech in dental training were a source of fond memories, but the dental training was not. When he came out, he probably could have been a dentist with a minimal amount of time in dental school. It sure would have been a more comfortable life for us six kids. I don't say that as a complaint. Not having it easy made all of us kids tougher and we all became self-sufficient and 'solid citizens' as my dad's lawyer (and later mine) used to term it, because of the lessons our parents taught us. Theirs - and yours - really is the greatest generation.

Most people never hear about the horrific numbers of casualties suffered stateside in training accidents. The Air Corps was growing rapidly with all kinds of new airplanes coming in, and they all had to be test-flown, and those that made it into service had to be trained on by new pilots. Lots and lots of accidents.

My dad's job prior to his unit heading to the Pacific Theater was to identify training accident victims by their dental records. My mom told me this when I was older, because my dad never talked about it. He never kept anything from his days in the service except for his buddy kit. In settling his estate - in an odd coincidence, he passed on this exact date 16 years ago - I didn't come across that. It would have been nice to hand that down to someone; I didn't have children. He did serve in the Civil Defense during the height of Cold War hysteria and I have his steel pot from that, I can see it from where I'm sitting right now.