How to cook walleye?

Got my hands on some walleye. Yum! Now I just need some ideas. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

We used to get LOADS of "eyes". Simple is best .... we just went to any grocery grab some of that pre- mixed breading. Heck grab a couple different flavors. Dip 'em in Buttermilk OR plain white milk and egg, fry it up. Same thing any restaurant does. IF(?) you have the entire fish DON'T throw away the best part. Most people ALWAYS do cause they don't know. The CHEEKS are the best on ANY fish. Little scallops, one each side. Just take the point of the fillet knife and twirl the handle around the point. Nice little circles of deliciousness : )

My buddies little 7 year old daughter STOOD over us to be sure we got EVERY cheek. Then she got the first of dinner OF COURSE. Mom fried her up ALL the cheeks. Believe me that kid watched you.

• Todd

I like the flavor of the fish and season as little as possible. I like to add flavors afterward with condiments so people can season it as much as they want or add what ever topping or side they want. I grill or broil fish. Somehow I always screw up trying to fry it.

• brett

Simply salt the filets and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Dredge in flour, knocking off all the excess and fry in 50% olive oil and 50% real butter on as high heat as you can without scorching the oil until just cooked through. Serve with brown butter. This recipe works for all white flaky fish.

• Debone, leave the skin on. Season with salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon and throw a couple fresh herbs in the cavity that you like (dill, fennel, garlic, basil/oregano, etc.). Throw on your charcoal grill for 5-6 minutes a side until done. Squeeze a little more lemon juice on it once you pull it off. You're welcome.

you can look up any recipe for fish and use it for walleye.

Make a beer batter and fry. All you need is flour, 1 egg, beer, black pepper, and garlic powder. Dredging the fish first in a separate bowl of only flour will make the batter stick better. Generally you want the batter to be a pancake consistency. I'll link a recipe below for measurements.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12824/beer-batte...

dredge in buttermilk, roll in cornmeal/salt/pepper, and pan fry