how do i get windows onto my chromebook?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Uh, no. A Chromebook is not built for what you want.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Andy T
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

This task is very involved, and whether or not your specific model can have it is another question.

But the first criteria is very simple, Intel can (AMD is not in this business), but ARM (Rockchip/MediaTek/Nvidia Tegra/Samsung Exynos/Apple A) cannot. Besides an Intel CPU can achieve higher performance that ARM do not, so I would say ARM is unlikely to have Windows soon, although I did have good experience with Microsoft Surface RT.

I have Acer Chromebook 11 C740, a rather above board model with M.2 and it has Windows option and I did try it, though since Ubuntu was a better fit... it is a very involved process, while Google does not lock up devices running its way the way Apple does, a Chromebook requires unlocking out-of-box that you can easily do DIY. Then reflash firmware to turn it to be regular notebook and do setup after that.

• 2 years ago

If it doesn't automatically boot from the USB drive, press any key when “Select Boot Option” appears on your screen. You can then select “Boot Manager” and select your USB devices. Connect a USB mouse, a USB keyboard, or both to your Chromebook. You'll need to use these while installing Windows.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

You can not install windows on the chromebook.

• Dave
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

Yes you can.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

You don't.

• EJT63032 years agoReport

Windows is a million times better than boring, garbafe chrome OS. Even 10

• Dave
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

It depends on exactly which Chromebook you have. Some can handle a windows install, most can't. Since you failed to provide a model number, that's the best answer you can get.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

if it has usb you got it, the modern versions of windows come in a usb installable package or you can use an external optical drive for older versions ..

• 2 years ago

You don't.

Chromebooks run a specialized operating system for just dealing with a web browser.

They don't have the hardware required to even run Windows.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.