Disabling one of two Wifi signals?

My WIFI (provided by Spectrum) has two speed signals available, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHx. Both are apparently on. When I login to the gateway user interface, I can see each can be disabled. Can I disable one of them? ---Why would one want both on anyway?)

Update:

Thanks so far. But the reason I ask is, I need to connect (enter password) either one, so for example, when I connect the 5G, the 2.4G is not being used, and would not be used UNLESS I then connect it by entering its password (I can set a different password). In other words the two do not automatically "help each other". So what's the point to have both on? If I want to switch to 2.4 G, I still need to manually click on Connect, and enter password.

Update 2:

It seems my Nokia cell phone can only pick up the 2.4G and not the 5G signal.even when held next to the modem.

Update 3:

OK, I just tried to connect to the 2.4G, and it couldn't, says the network adapter problem, and I checked my computer's specification and the wireless adapter is Intel 8260 2x2ac, which I suppose is "AC" mentioned by PoohBearPenguin (like your name, btw :))? So I guess this means that with this computer's wireless adapter, I have no choice but HAVE TO use the 5G. And since my cell phone can't detect the 5G signal, it HAS TO use the 2.4G. So my conclusion is, maybe I do need both for now. Thanks!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The 2.4Ghz signal work with older wifi standards such as 402.11B or 402.11G.

The 5Ghz signal works with faster wifi standards such as 402.11N and 402.11AC. It also has better range than the 2.4Ghz signal, and won't pick up interference from things like your Microwave oven or other electronic devices.

Most modern devices will support N or AC, so you should always choose the 5Ghz signal if it's available.

If you really don't have any older devices that require B/G then you can shut off the 2.4Ghz signal on your router if you want.

• 2 years ago

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.

In the left-hand column, click Change adapter settings.

A new screen will open with a list of network connections. Right-click Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection and select Disable.

• 2 years ago

Its simple check the Nokia Phone Specification and according to that you can identify your Phone wifi standard.

• 2 years ago

Nothing hurts keeping them both on. It's mostly for nowadays wifi that has both 2.4 and 5.0 hot spots available.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

You can disable one but don't. IoT or Internet of Things devices like doorbells, lights, connected remotes and the like generally can ONLY use 2.4 Gigahertz. You phone, laptop, chromebook and other things can use 5 Ghz. Five Ghz is MUCH faster. The IoT things don't need the speed so they save on the chips by using only 2.4 GHz.

There is no issue with having both.

• VP
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Newer devices may use the less-crowded 5.0 GHz signal. And, as one person mentioned, the 2.4 GHz signal travels farther; while the 5.0 GHz signal seems better for streaming content.

And, I disagree with the gallery. If you decide NOT to use the 5.0 signal then you should disable it. There's already enough stuff zipping through the air in most houses. But you can always turn it back on if needed.

Just my two cents!

• 2 years ago

The provide different signals. There is no reason to disable one of them. They both have their advantages. The main reason is to help if one of the signals is experiencing interference.

• Satan
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Some devices use one or the other. Just leave it as it is.

• DON W
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

That's typical for many of the newer routers. The 5 G signal carries more data, but the 2.4 G signal carries for a longer distance. You can use either or both, depending upon the device.

I don't know of any way to disable a signal you aren't using, but as long as it's secure, it isn't doing any harm.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.