put stain over paint, it is still tacky after 2 weeks is there a solution?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

strip it off or paint it another colour.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Because it is still sticky that sells you you have not gotten all of the paint off. You need to strip the wood again and expose the wood pores so the stain can soak in.

Personally after I had re-stripped the paint I would consider using a gel stain because it tends to sit on top of the wood and might work better in your case.

• 2 years ago

Strip it off and start over. Stain has to soak into the wood. It can’t do that with paint on the wood.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Stain is not made to go over paint; it is made to go on bare wood, or on wood that was previously stained. Remove everything and start again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Without knowing the products involved, an exact answer is difficult. Basically...as you have found out for yourself...stain shouldn't be applied over paint. Stain works by soaking into the wood. Paint is a surface coating/sealer which prevents the stain from being absorbed. When you applied stain over paint, the liquids that were supposed to penetrate the surface had nowhere to go.

You can't repaint without prepping the surface...which will involve removing the stain. Otherwise the paint won't adhere. I think the best you can hope for is that in time, the stain will dry up some more. So a lot depends on what you stained. On a piece of furniture, the stain may never dry enough to be usable. On house siding, it may...but you'll still have a dilemma the next time you repaint. Probably the right thing to do is power-wash the house and start over with paint. Sorry.... I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

• 2 years ago

Repaint

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.