Were you, your father, or grandfather in WW II or WW I?

I was in WW II, enlisting at age 17. I lied about my age to get in. I suspect that would not work today. My grandfather fought in WW I. I felt strongly about enlisting, so that is what I did. I am working on a book about my experience and the experience of my grandfather.

By the way, I posted this before. If you see it again, then please note that I am trying to gather as much anecdotal evidence I can for my book. I know you can't possibly reach everyone by posting a thread just one time, so here it is again. If you already posted and want to add, then please do so. If you saw this thread the first time and just want to enjoy others' stories, then sit back, relax, and enjoy!

14 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 5
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

`What totally awesome posts. I get goose bumps reading some of them. Thank you Leo Black!

• Tina
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Most of them seem to be casting doubt on the questioner. Awesome?

• 1 year ago

I'll be glad when you get enough stories to stop asking this question. go to a military old folks home and get all you need.

• 1 year ago

No. But I did have a grandpa who served in the Korean war.

• 1 year ago

No, you ARE NOT a WWII veteran. If you were 17 in the LAST year of WWII, you are 90. You opened your TROLL account in 2016. If you expect us to believe a WWII veteran opened a Yahoo Answers account at age 88, I doubt you are 17 yet.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The numbers don't add up. If you fought in WWII, you're aged over 90, and your grandfather would have been too old for WWI. If you're going to troll, make it believable.

• dull razor
      Lv 4
      1 year agoReport

Semi-typo. Obviously, I mean my father was in WW I.

• 1 year ago

That make you 91 y.o.a and wanting to write a book, quite a feat. But who's army did you enlist in? In England in 1939 at 17 you wouldn't have got passed the door of the recruiting centre.

• ken613uk
      Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

In fact, in the Royal navy in WW2 there were many boy sailors, aged 14. Many were killed when the HMS Royal Oak was sunk

• 1 year ago

Not believable. If your grandfather fought in WW1 you wouldn't be old enough to have fought in WW2. Also, even if you did you'd be in your mid 80s at best.

• dull razor
      Lv 4
      1 year agoReport

Semi-typo. Obviously, I mean my father was in WW I.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Dkdk

• 1 year ago

My mother was a First Lieutenant in the US Army Nurse Corps during the Second World War, serving 18 months overseas (Iceland, Scotland, and England). My father was in the Quartermaster Corps at Fort Lee, Virginia, reaching the rank of corporal, but then they let him out so that he could become a journeyman toolmaker for General Motors, in Detroit, which had converted to war production. My parents did not know each other during the war. They married in July, 1956, and I was born in October, 1957. Because of the date of my birth, I was never required to register for the draft.

• 1 year ago

My grandfather was in WW2, and he lied about his age to join. He was at Pearl Harbor, as he was born and raised in Hawaii. He was 16, but so tall and intimidating, no one questioned him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.