I'm writing a story and need name suggestions!?

I'm writing a story about a girl that falls in love with her kidnapper. Any good name suggestions??

• Andrew
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

What would constitute a "good name" for a character? Was Melville right to go with "Ishmael" instead of "Ezekiel"? Was Nabokov right to go with "Humbert-Humbert" instead of "Lambert-Lambert"? Should Orwell have called his character "Harry Jones" instead of "Winston Smith"?

Think for one moment, would your mother be a different person if she had been given a different name? Would your best friend be a different person if he or she had a different name? Would YOU be a different person if you had a different name? This is the internet, so I could be called "Andrew" in real life or I could be "Bernard" or "Carl" or "Dwayne." No matter which of those names my parents had given me, I'd still have to develop my own personality and grow and mature into the person I was meant to become.

Let's say you write your story and you decide to call your character "Alice", and you end up writing a superb story that you feel proud of having written. Then, afterwards, you decide to change her name to "Beth" or "Carol." Would it really make any difference? It would still be the same story, the only change would be the character's name. Let's say 100 people were to read your story, fifty of them read the first version where she's called "Alice", and fifty of them read the revised version where she's got another name. Now let's say that you could ask each and every one of them their opinion on the story. Some people might say that they thought it was wonderful, some might say that it was awful, some might say that it was all right but not really their cup of tea and some might say that they thought it was just okay and nothing to write home about. So you'd have some stellar reviews, some lukewarm reviews and some poor reviews. That's pretty standard.

Now, how many do you think would give a toss about the character's name? Out of those hundred people, how many would be likely to say "I stopped reading because the character was called __________"? How many would be likely to say "You know what I really loved about this piece - the fact that the character was called __________"?

If you focus your efforts on crafting a great story, you won't have to worry about which names readers might prefer. And you know what? It's YOUR story, so what I think or what anybody else thinks counts for a lot less than what you think. Are you under the mistaken impression that kidnappers always select their victim by name? Are there kidnappers out there who only take people with three-syllable names, or names that begin with an odd letter of the alphabet or names that end in a vowel?

Wasting time diddling over a character's name doesn't serve any purpose at all. Are there exceptions to that? Sure. You could be writing a historical fiction that takes place in 1600s Korea or a science fiction story about an alien planet, with specific times or locations, choosing an appropriate name means selecting one from a much smaller pool of possibilities. But if those things are not a factor in your story, then you can go with pretty much whatever you like.

• Look at this screed nonsense. I didn't even read it. Writes an essay about naming characters. Do you get paid to sit on Yahoo Answers all day? The ladies in my lit class called me Mr. 102 because that was my grade during midterms. I guess you're Mr. 10,000. What an accomplishment. 10,000 answers.Ha!

• denise
    1 year ago

Symone Syndrome??

• 1 year ago

You should be capable of selecting your own names if you're an author. Whatever names appeal to you.

1 year ago

Err OK lemme see ima just run through it

Tracy

Stephanie

Kylie

Samantha

Elle

Kirra

Cassandra

Angie

Catherine

Taysia

Raelynn

Natasha

Kaylee

Summer

Alexis

Rosie

Naomi

Macy

Alexandria

Amaya

Mercedes

Yea I'm done.

• chorle
    1 year ago

The Paper Man's Daughter

• 1 year ago

You're talking about Stockholm syndrome.

Name her Jaycee.

https://www.livescience.com/7862-bonding-captor-ja...

• 1 year ago

Some names I think could fit:

Greta

Hailey

Rosey

Harriet

Jenna

Ruth

Maya

Nina

Elsie

Nicole

Thea

Eve

BUT WHY on earth would you want to write about a girl falling in love with her kidnapper? That's unhealthy, manipulative and NOTHING to romanticize. Why would you want girls to find their kidnapper attractive and boyfriend/girlfriend material? This is not a good message for younger girls and this isn't Beauty and the Beast. Don't make people think it's okay to kidnap girls because that will be romantic and make her love you.

This is my opinion, and I think you should reconsider. Like really. Maybe you instead write about a girl being kidnapped, then she escapes on her very own like the strong female character she is, and maybe then finds her way back to her boyfriend of meets someone else?

Think about the message you want to spread.

You do you, just rather skip this one. Please. Unless it's a story named "Why falling in love with your kidnapper is A BAD IDEA and 10 steps on how to avoid it".

Hope this helped, good luck writing strong female characters who don't suffer from Stockholm Syndrome :)

• Marli
    1 year ago

You don't need a distinctive name. Find a book (Library of Congress subject heading "Names, Personal".) or a website (Type "Girls names" in the browser's search box.) Choose a name you like. You can easily change it if you are using word processing software.

• 1 year ago

Chloe

• 1 year ago

falling