Is it ok to run an extension cord through PVC pipe?

My son’s room only has 1 outlet. He needs power to the other side of the room where his night stand is. If we run the cord along the bottom of the wall it will have to cross a doorway. Our idea is to run PVC pipe up the wall, around the room, and down the opposite wall with the pipe attached to the ceiling. Is this safe? Or is there a fire risk having an extension cord in a PVC pipe? It will not be inside the wall.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Use Wiremold, it's a better way to run a surface chase and it meets electrical code.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

just call an electrition an have them run one, theres prolly already wires behind the wall, an they can tape into those an make a plug

• XTX
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

not OK ... use 12 gauge romex cable .... as your son will be using computer electronics and you need to have a grounding wire to secure the power and use a "" lightening and spike "" resistant shut-off unit to protect those electronics from getting fried ... I suggest that you get an electrician to give you a bid for the correct installation ..... it will be cheaper to pay an electrician to do the job than having to replace the PC electronics ....

• XTX
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

IT may be possible to run wire from the room next door -- than trying to rig an extension cord .... get bids [[ they're free ]]

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

This is the wrong material. But never fear, because think wall steel conduit is just as cheap as plastic. There is also plastic conduit. But PVC is only for plumbing.

• ...Show all comments
    • M.
      Lv 7
      2 years agoReport

1/2" EMT and 1/2" PVC conduit is a few dollars for a 10 foot piece. What did YOU buy?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

It IS NOT OK to use an extension cord in place of permanent wiring. The ONLY proper remedy in the case you describe is having new outlets installed. This may require a new circuit, or it may be possible to feed them off an existing circuit.

• 2 years ago

Instead, how about an efficient rechargeable LED light instead?

If you really must run a wire, make sure it is rated to handle the current/wattage well. Most cords are 16 or 18 gauge. I would really suggest a thicker 14 gauge cord, but use the shortest one.

50 ft. 14/3 Outdoor Extension Cord is a good choice.

• 2 years ago

that's fine

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Depends where you are. You can run cable in containment in most places (use mini trunking). I would route it low level round the the other side of the room to miss the doorway, even if that means going past the window. Alternatively take it around the door frame,

If it was me I think I would get an electrician to run in a new or extended circuit as it would add value.

• Steve
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I like Paul's solution.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Something like this would look a lot better than PVC and be just as safe. Probably not up to code would be my guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-flQLMLMU

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.