Is it ok to run an extension cord through PVC pipe?

My son’s room only has 1 outlet. He needs power to the other side of the room where his night stand is. If we run the cord along the bottom of the wall it will have to cross a doorway. Our idea is to run PVC pipe up the wall, around the room, and down the opposite wall with the pipe attached to the ceiling. Is this safe? Or is there a fire risk having an extension cord in a PVC pipe? It will not be inside the wall.

Use Wiremold, it's a better way to run a surface chase and it meets electrical code.

just call an electrition an have them run one, theres prolly already wires behind the wall, an they can tape into those an make a plug

• XTX

not OK ... use 12 gauge romex cable .... as your son will be using computer electronics and you need to have a grounding wire to secure the power and use a "" lightening and spike "" resistant shut-off unit to protect those electronics from getting fried ... I suggest that you get an electrician to give you a bid for the correct installation ..... it will be cheaper to pay an electrician to do the job than having to replace the PC electronics ....

• XTX
      2 years agoReport

IT may be possible to run wire from the room next door -- than trying to rig an extension cord .... get bids [[ they're free ]]

This is the wrong material. But never fear, because think wall steel conduit is just as cheap as plastic. There is also plastic conduit. But PVC is only for plumbing.

• M.
      2 years agoReport

1/2" EMT and 1/2" PVC conduit is a few dollars for a 10 foot piece. What did YOU buy?

It IS NOT OK to use an extension cord in place of permanent wiring. The ONLY proper remedy in the case you describe is having new outlets installed. This may require a new circuit, or it may be possible to feed them off an existing circuit.

Instead, how about an efficient rechargeable LED light instead?

If you really must run a wire, make sure it is rated to handle the current/wattage well. Most cords are 16 or 18 gauge. I would really suggest a thicker 14 gauge cord, but use the shortest one.

50 ft. 14/3 Outdoor Extension Cord is a good choice.

that's fine

Depends where you are. You can run cable in containment in most places (use mini trunking). I would route it low level round the the other side of the room to miss the doorway, even if that means going past the window. Alternatively take it around the door frame,

If it was me I think I would get an electrician to run in a new or extended circuit as it would add value.

• Steve

I like Paul's solution.

• Paul

Something like this would look a lot better than PVC and be just as safe. Probably not up to code would be my guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-flQLMLMU

Youtube thumbnail