Can I somehow merge two drives (C: and E:)?

Two weeks ago I got an old EliteBook 8440p laptop running Windows 10. I soon discovered that C: have only 32GB of space but there is also E: with 191GB space. I don't know if E: is stock or if the previous owner did something, but want to know if it is possible to merge this two drivers. I can use E: for storage but I want to be able to download files/games directly. I want to somehow remove E: so C: get these 191GB.

Ok

• Andy T

I take it by "merge" you mean put together as one drive letter, without having to do any storage management. Nope, but the answer is really maybe. You have many options from exotic non-destructive Fdisking via Linux setups or destructive Fdisking, all the way to just sticking to save files to E:

I think I had EliteBook 8440p still have it but retired it to a Core i7; this machine is good for Windows 10 but it came with Windows Vista so anyway you slice it you can just erase/destructive Fdisking the thing.

• Fulano

Are they two disks? Or are they two parts of one disk?

If you open up Windows's Disk Management it will show the physical drives the computer has.

If the two drives are partitions of the same disk, you can merge the partitions, but that will take some data juggling to get it done.

If the laptop has two separate physical disks the only way to merge them is with a JBOD Array, but those are best avoided, they are very unreliable.

It's pretty easy to just install stuff on the E drive. If you're using Steam it will even let you migrate games from one drive to another.

You can't "merge" 2 disks....except for RAID but that's not what this is. C has the operating system, only do that. Then you can put all your documents, games, movies, music, etc on the E drive. Just like a usb that never leaves.

• Adrian

You can download and install games on the E: drive directly. Just change your browser/torrent download location via their menus to point to a folder on the E: drive. You can also install any app onto the E: drive, you just have to watch carefully during any install as to what directory is the default, and change it. In some cases, you have to select "Custom" installation to change the install drive.

open the drive bay and see if there are one or two drives in there. if there's only one, a hard disk manager tool [software] may be able to do what you want. see downloads at cnet for possible free tools to do that

If the C and E drive are on the same hard disk then you can expand your c drive via disk manager. If they are separate drives then you will have to clone the C to E and swap them around in the case.

Acronis is good for this.

Enjoy