Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 years ago

How long do I have to keep my ex-boyfriends dog before I rehome him.?

We broke up three months ago, and he left both of his dogs at my place before moving out. One dog I'm really attached too and want to keep, but I do care for the other one as well. At the moment I'm financially stable to care for one dog, and I've given him more than enough time to get his life back on track. He's got his own place now but just refuses to get them, and he won't return my phone calls. If I'm being honest he didn't really care for either of his animals; I'd been feeding them, walking them, bathing them, etc. Now, it's like he's abandoning them. Though I don't want to take the other dog to the shelter, so I'm going to rehome him, and legally adopt the girl. I want to do everything legally.

I kno I've heard this, I don't remember what state it was but I heard this on TV show that after 3 days of a dog being separated from its owner if somebody within that three days finds the dog and takes it into their home and loves it and cares for it and then you decide after three days you suddenly want the dog back or you recognize the dog is yours and you say hey that's my dog it's kind of too late it belongs to the new person but I don't know if that's true or not but I mean there's different laws in different states that say different things when it comes to how long it takes forever the authorities to claim that that dog has been abandoned and can belong to anybody just depends you have to know what your state says.

but if u've tried everything u can &that person doesn't want the dog well that's too bad for him but you've gotten 2great dogs. &if u decide he's not coming back &ur taking the dogs &they become legally urs he cannot take them anymore if u make legal.

• Ocimom

Send him a certified letter with return signature and give him 30 days to come and get the dog. If he doesn't then you have the right to rehome one of the dogs and keep the other. Be sure the dog you keep is registered in your name with the vet, id, etc.

• J C

Check in with your local animal control and as what the local laws are on animal abandonment. Once you know that, you send him a certified letter with signature proof of delivery stating that he has X number of days to pick them up or you will consider them your property. This makes it all legal, but sending text messages that he responds to (and of course you keep) do stand up in court, as well as text messages that go ignored. The dogs then become yours to do so as you wish - you do want to get them a license in your name, and a microchip as well. The abandonment laws establish you as the owner, but the licensing, microchipping is just another layer of security.

How attached are the dogs to each other? They may be very upset if separated. If you do choose to separate them, either take them to a rescue, or a no-kill shelter. Advertising on Craigslist, etc. doesn't assure a good home. Many bait dogs for dog fighting are acquired that way, and the families even show up to assure you the dog is going to a good home. Most do not, and are killed while training the fighting dogs. Or be sure to charge a rehoming fee of about $50 which is generally over the price for someone looking for bait dogs.

Should have decided among yourselves and agreed upon it at the time of the break-up. Contact him now, tell him to either to pick it up or you will dispose of the dog at your own discretion in whatever way you feel is necessary, set a time limit of your choosing but no more than ten days, during the hours that are convenient for you, if he doesn't show, re-home it. Document your attempts in contacting, as well as his non-response, when the time limit is up, re-home the dog.

Accept that both dogs are yours now. I would not rehome either dog. You have a nice little set up & the two dogs get along fine & you are not having any problems with them being together. It is not much more expensive to raise two dogs as it is one. They would really miss each other, the companionship of another animal of the same species is a good thing. I would never have just one dog. To me that is not fair to the dog. They need companionship of one of its own kind.

If you are strapped for money & would qualify as low income you can use low cost clinics to treat any problems. You do have to prove you are on low income to qualify. You can also us CreditCare Vet to pay for Vet bills & you pay them back in very easy monthly payments.

Keep them together, don't separate them.

I have spent the last 50 yrs rescuing large & extra large dogs & could only keep 5 at any one time. On low income the entire time & then SSA & SSI & I still can afford to keep several dogs. Life is full of sacrifices so you sacrifice for the sake of the dogs. I love dogs. Spent my whole life working with dogs. You can do two very easy.

Keep in mind that these dogs are attached to each other and when you “rehome” one of them the other one will be alone when you are at work or school.

To be “legal” you’ll want to check on any local ordinances about pets that you may have. In my area, if you feed an animal for 30 days you are “legally” responsible for it. This ordinance is more in response to people feeding strays then claiming they are not responsible for the animal because it is a stray than legal possession, but the ordinance is there.

If you are paying for the animals food and vet care keep all your receipts and possibly a journal of care, including the times you tried to contact the ex about the dogs.

I suggest you think carefully about separating these bonded dogs.

And look up positive training. POSITIVE training. This may be able to help with issues you have with the male.

If he was notified that he needed to come get them and did nothing, after 3 months they're now abandoned property and you can find homes for the dogs.

I think, before you do anything like finding another home for the second dog, you need to send your ex a letter IN WRITING, to be signed for, saying if you don't hear from him by (date), you will presume he has officially abandoned both, and will be proceeding to rehome the one you don't want to keep and keeping the other, bearing in mind that if these two are attached and have been living together for some time now it may be very hard on either of them to be parted. This isn't only about you much as I understand you may not have the finances available to keep 2 dogs.

Adopting legally (the one you keep) is difficult as posession is 9/10ths of the law but a dog is property and could, in law, be regarded as his dogs unless he replies in writing stating his intentions. Again you need to force the issue here by giving him a time-frame in which to act, beyond which these dogs are being regarded as abandoned.

I suppose if you want 'legal adoption' you could hand both into your local Shelter as abandoned, and then adopt one, with all the paperwork. I do think you need to take legal advice - I'd be talking to your local Shelter/Animal Control.

You need to tell the loser to come get them or else you will re-home them. Find out from your local animal control as to how long it is that constitutes abandonment and tell him he has either passed it or is about to and give him a firm time and date as to when you expect him to come get his dog or else you will take them to a shelter or find them a new home and how much he has to pay you for you having cared for the dog.

Then do that.