Did I ruin my chance of evolving my Squirtle of Pokemon: Fire Red?

While playing Pokemon: Fire Red (not to be confused with Pokemon Red), my Squirtle started evolving. In my excitement, I accidentally pressed b and canceled the evolution. Can I still evolve my Squirtle, and if so, how? Thanks!

Yes, it will still try to evolve on it's next level up.

• John

you're fine, just level it up one more time. when people say that a pokemon evolves at a certain level, they just mean that's the minimum level. squirtle evolves starting at level 16, but if you wanted to, you could have it evolve at level 50. it doesn't matter as long as it can still level up.

sometimes, evolving a pokemon later can be a good thing. some pokemon can only learn certain moves in an earlier stage of evolution. for example, oddish can learn moonblast at level 43, but none of the other pokemon in its family can, so you would need to wait until oddish was level 43 and learns the move if you want vileplume or bellossom to have moonblast. if you evolve it at the minimum level, it will never be able to learn it.

DON'T PANIC! All you did was temporarily delay the evolution by interrupting it.

All you have to do retrigger the evolution process is to level up again, assuming your Squirtle is already at Lv 100 (the maximum level for any given pokémon) & is NOT holding an everstone (which blocks evolutions completely).

While evolving a pokémon later in it's life can negatively impact it's stats potential, it's counterbalanced by it's ability to learn moves earlier than it's evolved form. This can create a debate with high-skill players on when it's the right time to evolve a pokémon, especially for those who don't run on the standard evolution type (Stone / Item, Trade / Item, Friendship & even Environmental evolutions)... but that's probably a discussion for another time.

Just reach the next level with Squirtle to trigger the evolution & just leave the controls alone to get your Wartortle.