Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 years ago

Will cutting off a limb after you've been bitten by a venomous animal save your life?

Let's say I'm on a trail and bitten by a highly venomous snake on my hand which will undoubtedly kill me. If I have a friend with me and in a split second he chops my arm off right with a machete after being bitten, would that completely stop the venom or would it move up the blood stream too fast for that to work?

Favorite Answer

Unless the snake bit you in an artery or major vein, most of the venom was put into muscle tissue where it will take a while to reach the bloodstream. So chopping off your arm immediately would greatly reduce the amount of venom you got. IF you didn't bleed to death from having your arm chopped off.

• John

well while it may stop the venom from spreading throughout your body, you'll still likely die due to blood loss. it's honestly better to just keep your arm and try to get help and antivenom

• JimZ

It would increase your chance of death dramatically unless it was a snake like a green mamba or cobra. If it were a rattlesnake, you would be much better off keeping your arm.

Trust me here, you are far better off dealing with the venomous bite than the risk of amputation.

Not like humans to be autospasic removing injured or envenomised limbs.

If you don't bleed to death from the amputation, yes.

• MARK

If your friend were to chop off your limb you will probably die. Your death would not result from being poisoned but from the trauma of the amputation and shock. You are bound to suffer serious injury because it is extremely unlikely your friend would amputate your arm in one clean cut. You would also suffer severe blood loss as a result of the injuries sustained.

You will die from excessive bleeding.