How to stop being so emotionally sensitive?

So, I'm a very emotionally and mentally sensitive person and I really want to stop being like that. How can I be emotionally stronger? I'm CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and being a CNA, you have to be emotionally strong. It pains me to see other nurses treating the elderly like garbage, it makes me want to cry. So please, how can I be emotionally stronger and ignore heartbreaking and emotionally stressful situations?

Favorite Answer

The nursing (and/or social work or counseling) field is supposed to have a high burn-out rate, and that includes all levels of the industry.

Having empathy (someone with the ability to put oneself in the other person's shoes) is a great trait to have, especially for the nursing or allied health field. However, if emotional and/or psychological issues are interfering in one's life, then considering therapy is a good next step, which may help with increasing one's self-esteem and self-confidence, for instance. It's *not* a cure-all/panacea, but if there are underlying emotional or mental health issues, perhaps those issues and symptoms may improve.

This website should have some local counseling agencies:

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/ and can type one's zip code or state of residence into search.

Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Just an fyi that the two types of therapists who may provide an "official" mental health diagnosis and/or may administer cognitive-behavioral therapy (cbt), for instance, which the latter deals with how one's thoughts affect one's behavior, is either a *clinical psychologist* (PhD or PsyD) or a *licensed-clinical social worker* (LCSW).

If you're continuing to have difficulty handling your emotions at work, perhaps you may consider a different field. I'm sure that you're *not* the first person to have such difficulty.

Not much you can do except continue to be in those situations and just get used to them

Sadly this emotional sensitivity will fade with time as you become more accustomed to how things are. Not saying this is a good thing and don't know a faster way to make it fade but it will fade all on its own.