How to stop being so emotionally sensitive?

So, I'm a very emotionally and mentally sensitive person and I really want to stop being like that. How can I be emotionally stronger? I'm CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) and being a CNA, you have to be emotionally strong. It pains me to see other nurses treating the elderly like garbage, it makes me want to cry. So please, how can I be emotionally stronger and ignore heartbreaking and emotionally stressful situations?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The nursing (and/or social work or counseling) field is supposed to have a high burn-out rate, and that includes all levels of the industry.

Having empathy (someone with the ability to put oneself in the other person's shoes) is a great trait to have, especially for the nursing or allied health field. However, if emotional and/or psychological issues are interfering in one's life, then considering therapy is a good next step, which may help with increasing one's self-esteem and self-confidence, for instance. It's *not* a cure-all/panacea, but if there are underlying emotional or mental health issues, perhaps those issues and symptoms may improve.

This website should have some local counseling agencies:

https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/ and can type one's zip code or state of residence into search.

Their toll-free 24/7 ** referral ** hotline:

1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Just an fyi that the two types of therapists who may provide an "official" mental health diagnosis and/or may administer cognitive-behavioral therapy (cbt), for instance, which the latter deals with how one's thoughts affect one's behavior, is either a *clinical psychologist* (PhD or PsyD) or a *licensed-clinical social worker* (LCSW).

If you're continuing to have difficulty handling your emotions at work, perhaps you may consider a different field. I'm sure that you're *not* the first person to have such difficulty.

• 2 years ago

Not much you can do except continue to be in those situations and just get used to them

• 2 years ago

Sadly this emotional sensitivity will fade with time as you become more accustomed to how things are. Not saying this is a good thing and don't know a faster way to make it fade but it will fade all on its own.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.