Epic Books Worth Reading?

When I say epic I mean giants spells huge events action etc and an epic GOOD story.

• C

I'll just assume we've gotten LoTR out of the way, okay?

If you're still in your teens go for the "Belgariad" by David Eddings. Those books are best enjoyed at that age. They're okay later but when you're the same age as the protagonist it's a different experience you can't have again.

The "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams. This one divides people, parts are slow. It's had a deep influence on later epic series like Song of Ice and Fire (that's another named).

"Wheel of Time" mentioned above. It starts out very strong but the middle of that series drags. I really wish it had been condensed. Lots of spells and battling though.

Personal favourite: "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson (well, it's more like a syndicate now). I should warn you that it sprawls all over the place and is very, very dark.

The "Dragonlance Chronicals" often get overlooked, but they are genuinely fun to read.

This one may or may not appeal, but it's another one of my top picks, "The Winter of the World" trilogy by Michael Scott Rohann.

There plenty more out there but this ought to get you started.

The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin

A Dweller on Two Planets;

Chronicles of Narnia;

The Martian Chronicles.

• Louis

Any list of epic fantasies will include Lord of the Rings.

Another series that is on most lists is Wheel of Time. IMHO, it was too epic. something like 14,000 pages.

My favorite is the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Three trilogies.

Game of Thrones is also on most lists.

The Eye of the World by Jordan

Harry Potter