Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 2 years ago

How do I get over her?

So heres the deal, I am a 25 year old woman who has crazily and profoundly fallen in love with her straight best friend who has a boyfriend. I've felt this way for two years already, she has no idea. I've tried dating other women in order to "forget" her with no luck. It seems like whatever I try to do in order to get over her fails. Anyone been in a similar situation and have any advice? I feel terrible and exhausted.

Favorite Answer

I'm not in a completely similar situation. My situation is that I am in love with my friend, who is married. He is male, I am female. Either way, it's one of those never-gonna-happen situations and it sucks. I've been in love with him for a year and have known him for 2 years. He has no idea (as far as I know...although the past 3 months, he's been distant so he might know now). I've tried being interested in other guys, but every guy I become genuinely interested in, turns out to be the wrong guy. I can't get over him either. Honestly, what harm would it do if you told her how you feel? At least then, she could straight up tell you it's not going to happen. Maybe deep down, you have hope that something COULD happen if she ever becomes single (which is likely to happen since they're just dating and not engaged) and maybe you just need that closure to get over her. I think my problem is similar....like I think part of me has hope deep down that if his marriage ever miraculously ended, that he'd want me too. Love's difficult lol. Do you think it would drastically affect the friendship if you told her?

It's better to get it off your chest. I would hope the boyfriend wouldn't find out, though. But as a matter of fact, I've experienced that a couple of times. I had this one friend of mine for 15 years, we just recently ended our friendship over unrelated things, but a good 7 years ago she told me she's always had feelings for me. The friendship didn't change or become awkward. On a separate occasion, another girl who was a very close friend of mine (again, we're not friends anymore due to unrelated things) came out to me and said she thought she was in love with me. Again, our friendship stayed the same and wasn't awkward. I am fairly open-minded and am flattered when anybody has interest in me, whether I feel the same or not. The friendship has never changed and will never change due to a friend's romantic feelings for me. I'm assuming she knows you're into girls? So honestly, she may have already somewhat suspected you have feelings for her, but doesn't know for sure. I don't think it'd be the worst thing in the world if you confessed it to her. If you're as close as you say you are, she'll probably be flattered and the friendship will stay the same. :)

No problem, I wish you luck. :)

C

• Rick

When you choose to accept that this won't happen, you'll begin the process of getting over her - coming to terms with it. Hoping for something that's not going to happen is draining. Sorry this is such a struggle for you.

• God

Get a 12 inch vibrating dildo.