Michael asked in HealthMental Health · 2 years ago

How did you cope with your depersonalization?

I ve had depersonalization for a little over a year now, it has caused me pretty severe anxiety and the thought of this feeling never going away makes me depressed at times. It started right as I started college, what are supposed to be the "best years of my life" have been pure miserable. I have to fake a smile in front of my friends and roommates all day while they get to go out and have fun on the weekends. I guess im just looking for someone to talk to about it since no one ive asked has ever experienced this or even heard of it. Did yours ever go away? I feel like mine is never going to. And if you have any coping tips id greatly appreciate it

If you are still in college then I would visit the student health center and show what you have written to one of the doctors. Use that as a basis for having a frank discussion on how you are doing. They can do a full physical and neurological workup to see if you have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. They can also check if anything you are taking or doing may be causing or contributing to your issue. They will want you to speak with a counselor and may refer you to a mental health professional who can evaluate your mental state. Be sure to show them what you have written here also. Once a diagnosis has been made, treatment options can be discussed.

Several people here have said this advice helps with depersonalization and derealization.

There are very simple mindfulness exercises referred to as grounding methods. This is the advice I usually give. Carefully wash and dry the dishes, paying attention to what you're doing, what your hands feel and the sound of water. Put a variety of common objects on the counter or a table. Pick them up one by one and carefully inspect them, name them. Count things. Feel your clothing on your skin and the pressure of the floor on the soles of your feet. Breathe slowly and be aware of the air passing through your nose. Look around the room, listening. This is awareness of the present moment, mindfulness - the opposite of derealization.

If you search with "NICE anxiety," you can read the recommendations of an official health agency. They rank treatments according to demonstrated effectiveness for most patients (most patients, not you as an individual) - 1) CBT, 2) medicine (generally antidepressant), 3) self-help based on CBT.

There are things with very encouraging evidence from recent research. In particular, breathing therapy is very interesting. It's used for panic order and PTSD. My recent answers have details about the work of Emma Seppala, her work with PTSD and her self-help book.

This answer has 3 CBT self-help treatments, also info on learning mindfulness and other healthy lifestyle, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

los muy buenos seremos

LSD