Is it a weird hobby to make your own liquor?

I told my uncle I was going to make a distiller to make my own liquor and he said that’s a wired hobby. My uncle is 50 and his hobby is making model airplanes. So what’s a more weird hobby a 25 yr old making his own liquor or a 50 year old making toy airplanes?

No, it's not weird at all. Neither hobby is weird

As long as you know how to do it. (hint: add a few drops of water to the foreshots to check for fusel oils).

Does you uncle know people do what you do for money. They make money from it. Its called a "micro brewery" people have been making their own booze since the dawn of time.

No, making your own wine is a pretty common hobby, i don't see how liquor is much different

I did make wine a few times, just to try it. Not my thing but it is legal in my state as long as it is not sold.

Tell him, "You make toys like you're some kind of kid but I'm involved in the science of zymurgy." Say it in a snooty tone.

Wired hobby, is that something which one does while having too much caffeine in their system?

His is legal. Yours isn't. So he wins.

It is legal where I live, and not odd at all.

My father and a few friends have made various wine and beers for decades. They can not sell them, but for personal use it is completely legal. (there is a limit to volume, I think, but I don't know it at the moment.)

They also make sausages.

The only question I would have about the making your own liquor is the legality of it, and making sure it's not going to send you blind or something. Otherwise, they're both good hobbies.