Is it a weird hobby to make your own liquor?

I told my uncle I was going to make a distiller to make my own liquor and he said that’s a wired hobby. My uncle is 50 and his hobby is making model airplanes. So what’s a more weird hobby a 25 yr old making his own liquor or a 50 year old making toy airplanes?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

No, it's not weird at all. Neither hobby is weird

• 2 years ago

As long as you know how to do it. (hint: add a few drops of water to the foreshots to check for fusel oils).

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Does you uncle know people do what you do for money. They make money from it. Its called a "micro brewery" people have been making their own booze since the dawn of time.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No, making your own wine is a pretty common hobby, i don't see how liquor is much different

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I did make wine a few times, just to try it. Not my thing but it is legal in my state as long as it is not sold.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Tell him, "You make toys like you're some kind of kid but I'm involved in the science of zymurgy." Say it in a snooty tone.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Wired hobby, is that something which one does while having too much caffeine in their system?

• 2 years ago

His is legal. Yours isn't. So he wins.

• 2 years ago

It is legal where I live, and not odd at all.

My father and a few friends have made various wine and beers for decades. They can not sell them, but for personal use it is completely legal. (there is a limit to volume, I think, but I don't know it at the moment.)

They also make sausages.

• 2 years ago

The only question I would have about the making your own liquor is the legality of it, and making sure it's not going to send you blind or something. Otherwise, they're both good hobbies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.