Why do people say, "Chicken" when they hear anyone say they are a "pacifist"?

Many of the pacifists I know are combat Veterans. They went into the military at 18-23, and came back pacifists.

Many of us are Buddhists, Unitarians, or Sikh today.

Being a pacifist does not mean I am going to allow a person to rob me. I am pacifist to a limit. I consider the sale of my personal information to be a capitol offence and I am willing to enforce it myself.

I don't think 'chicken'... in fact, I think it takes incredible guts to be a pacifist... I don't advocate it-- I think being a pacifist is impractical unless everyone else in the world is also a pacifist as well, but to each his own.

If you are okay with someone beating you or mugging old ladies in front of you or your country being invaded by a violent country, and you would refrain from fighting back because you think it is immoral or unjustifiable, that's your business.

Me, I very much believe in things like protection, self-defense, defending people in danger from someone threatening, and that even some wars are justifiable.

ETA: you should look up 'pacifist'.

Being a pacifist means you think using violence is unjustifiable (even if someone uses it against you).

If you would fight back if attacked then you are not a pacifist... you can still be non-violent and abhor violence, but you're not a pacifist if you would fight back.

Perhaps they've never seen roosters fighting.

If it is true that "Ignorance is bliss", then there are a lot of VERY happy people who do not understand pacifism.

How can you have a pacifist Sikh? It's a warrior religion.

And they're cowards because they don't even agree with defending themselves, their families etc. Well unless you're redefining pacifism.

That is silly.

I am very much a pacifist. And a martial art instructor. Nobody ever called me chicken.

• User

You know how - when someone starts talking about the tomatoes in their garden - you might suddenly acquire a craving for a tomato sandwich?

For some people, the word "pacifist" gives them a craving for Kentucky Fried Chicken.