Going to college to a diffrent state?

My nane is jon and im 23 years of age currently living in new york

I wanted to know if i moved to a diffrent state and go to college over there ....would be able to apply for fasfa the exact same way how i applied for fasfa over here in new york ?

Or do i need to wait a year or 2 to oficcially become a PA Resident to recive college loans

3 Answers

  • di
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

    You need to be at least 24 by January 1st of the award year (for 2018-2019, that's a birth date of BEFORE 1/1/1995) to generally not have to report under your parent(s) income. If you have report under your parent(s) income, you are a dependent student and your state of residence for financial aid purposes is your PARENT(s) state of residence for in-state tuition and financial aid purposes. If, under the FAFSA guidelines, you are an independent student, you have to go to the state's Higher Education agency to see what their definition of residency is for in-state tuition and aid.

    You could have moved to a different state upon graduating from high school, but financial aid still considers you as dependent and bases your residency on your parent's state.

  • nancy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    FAFSA means Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Since it is a federal program, the application is the same no matter what state you live in. However, the typical financial aid package includes aid from sources other than federal student aid, such as state grants and loans, or scholarships offered by the school itself. If you move, you won't be eligible for aid from those sources, but you may be eligible for other aid from the state you move to.

  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    Applying for finanacial aid/ FAFSA is done no matter if you are a resident of the state or not.

    You need to check with each individual university for their in state requirements.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.