Downshifting without rev-matching?

Instead of rev-matching, can I just shift into a lower gear and release the clutch while giving it more gas to match the rpm?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

That's rev matching

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

If you're downshifting because you are decelerating, you usually don't have to do anything special to rev match.

Exceptions might include skipping a gear when downshifting. I've got a badly-designed turn on my regular drive like that: a sharp, right-hand turn from a highway. Brake hard, and downshift from fifth to third.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Giving it more gas to match the RPMs while releasing the clutch IS "rev matching", Dufus!

• 2 years ago

That's the normal way to use a clutch while shifting.

Rev matching means you are not using the clutch. That's a good way to ruin transmission gears.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Generally, yes. That’s how almost every downshift on a manual transmission is accomplished.

Rev-matching is something most drivers never have to ever consider as the gearbox synchromesh comes will ensure that the internal cogs and shafts are spinning at the correct speeds before the gear engagement dogs will allow the cogs to mesh.

Rev-matching was a thing way back when synchromesh was rare and double-declutching was a vital skill. These days it only tends to be used on racing cars which often have straight-cut gear-teeth and sometimes no synchromesh.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

It depends on your speed, the gear you are in, and the specific driving situation. If you are going too slow for the gear you are in, then yes, that would be the right thing to do. If you're going too fast for the gear you want to downshift into, it's not a good idea and you certainly don't want to hit the gas after you downshift if your intent is to slow down.. A little trial and error will teach you what not to do,but my guess is that you haven't driven a stick yet. Theory alone will not suffice. .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.