Is my condo neighbor invading my privacy by sitting outside his condo often?

My condo neighbor's doorway is about 15 feet away from mine. Is he invading my privacy by sitting outside his doorway and keeping the door ajar so that his 2 cats can access the hallway whenever they want to? I also find the hallway stinks when his condo door is ajar. What is the best way to tell him to stop sitting outside and clean up his condo?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

He is sitting in a common area that is not part of your square footage as he sits outside his own door. If you have a copy of the bylaws of your condo association and it states that cats are not permitted into the hallways, then report that the cats are in a common indoor area.

As far as your neighbor's condo odor, well that is nothing for you to be entitled to change. If, however he is a hoarder and the smell is from spoiled food or excessive trash that should be removed, well, then, that is a health code violation. Typically nothing can be done about hoarders or unkempt homes, EXCEPT when they share floors, ceilings and or walls with other tenants because the fire hazard and rodent/roach populations are an increased risk for that type of housekeeping.

But, if it is just an odor, there really is nothing you can do except stick up an air freshener in the hallway.

• 2 years ago

How exactly is he invading your privacy by just sitting? Anyway, the only thing you can complain about is the smell.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Make an anonymous complaint to immigration! They will hopefully deport him. Even if it turns out hes not illegal they would have put him in detention for a while so you can air his place out

• 2 years ago

kind of but since its his condo you cant tell him not to sit outside there

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Steve
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Get a UV light and see if the cats have peed in the hallway. That's the only thing wrong in this description. His door being ajar is not your concern.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

no

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Talk to your association for the condo. You must have rules and regulations.

The only one I think you can have an issue with is the cats roaming the shared hallways

• 2 years ago

not your place to tell him what to do with his own home.-unless it becomes a health hazard.

• 2 years ago

He can sit outside all he wants. If his condo stinks notify the board. Telling an adult to clean his room is like telling a child to clean his room. Good luck with that!

• 2 years ago

You can't. He can do what he likes in his own home and he can sit outside in communal areas all day if he wants to. If the rules allow him to have cats, there's nothing you can do about them either.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.