promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is my transmission done for.?

Long story shoet. I was driving my car and it wouldn't go at first when pressing on gas then it would jerk then drive. I pull over and transmission fluid is pouring out from under car. I imediently called to have it towed to a shop. I won't know anything till Tuesday. Im praying my car is not done for. :( . Anyone have this problem or know what it could be?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you immediately turned the car off when the ATF blew out of the cooler line you might get lucky but it only takes a few blocks of driving with no ATF in the tranny to ruin it because once it slips it's toast and needs to be rebuilt.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 years ago

Depends on actual car, actual transmission- and how much tranny fluid was dumped . Some Chrysler trannies made lately using synthetic ATF+ 4 more tolerant of sudden drop in fluid level than GMs using Dextron. Stooped and got towed- might get lucky to fix line, refill. If relatively easy to remove pan and tranny has some adjustment of band clutch-if it has band clutch- then may be able to see if scraping in bottom of pan, check filter. $100.00 to $200.00 for the hope for simple fix, $500.00 to $1000.00 for the expensive replace or rebuilt

• 2 years ago

We cannot possibly tell. You can keep fingers crossed and hope it's simply a leaking pipe which can be repaired, the fluid topped up and off you go again. Or on the other hand the transmission may be wrecked. All you can do is wait for the mechanic's report and hope.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

It's going to cost about $1000 (US) to install a rebuilt transmission. What's your car worth TO YOU?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Transmission is done. If your car is fairly old, junk the car.

• 2 years ago

i would hope not, just get a mechanic to look at it

• 2 years ago

God knows, but I'm not God. You'll just have to wait for the mechanic to tell you the story. Yeah, let's pray together.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.