If I m in a different state than our home state, can I file for custody of my children?

My children are with me in Colorado. We re staying with my mom. We ve only been here about a month and my ex fiance (never married) is in Alabama. Can I file for custody in Colorado? If so, how? Also, we decided mutually that I would visit my mom here with the kids. So, it s not like I just took them and left.

5 Answers

  • 2 years ago

    You need to file in your home state. This is because you'll be using your home address to prove residency when filing. You can't use Colorado family courts' resources if you are not a taxpayer within the state of Colorado.

  • 2 years ago

    you need to ask a lawyer what the rules are about that

  • 2 years ago

    You are asking a bunch of strangers who have never thought about this issue to advise you about a complex legal situation. I suggest you consult an attorney who handles interstate custody issues. Contact the bar association in your county to get a list of attorneys who specialize in interstate custody.

  • No clue

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

    no rinde

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.