Did the belief that there's thousands of genders come from the fact that fungi apparently have thousands of sexes?

If so hate to break it to you, but humans are not fungi. There's only 2 sexes/genders male or female.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You are falling into the modern illiteracy trap that thinks that "gender" and "sex" are synonyms. They are not. There are two sexes, male and female. Everyone is biologically one or the other apart from a few with genetic abnormalities where their status is unclear.

"Gender" is a word from linguistics and refers to noun classes in languages. French has two genders called masculine and feminine. English has three genders in the pronouns called masculine, feminine and neuter. Other languages have four, five or six etc genders and Swahili has eighteen.

Some people thought that "gender" was a more polite way of saying "sex" and so spoke of two genders rather than two sexes, using "gender" as a euphemism for "sex". At the same time, sociology borrowed the word "gender" from linguistics and used the word for the characteristics of sex and sexuality. Just as there can be many genders in languages, so there can be many genders in people. Two sexes, many genders.

If you stop using "gender" when you mean "sex", you won't get confused.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No, but in fairness I very rarely hear an SJW cite "fungi" as their reason for believing in multiple genders.

• 2 years ago

There are only two. People who confuse gender identity with sexual attraction don't know what they're talking about.

• 2 years ago

No.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Gender is not sexual anatomy. The belief concerning the number of genders has nothing at all to do with the sex of fungi.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

No idea why people make up all those fake terms. We have male and female gender, that is it.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

There are 107 billion genders

• 2 years ago

Could I suggest, such an idea may have come about in response to the demand by some that there is just two when clearly there are more and so to promote this some have gone way over the top, just as claiming there is just two is way over the top.

• 2 years ago

Firstly gender and sex are two separate things. Sex is what body/reproductive system you have, gender is what you are psychologically. Since gender is psychological there are many of them, some that don't quite fit into todays descriptions of genders even.

Secondly referring to just sex in the physical form, you are even wrong on that. There's male, female, and intersex. Intersex people have some combination of both male and female body parts. This combination can vary from each individual who is intersex .There are some that may not even be aware as some intersex people will physically present as one sex but have the chromosome combination of the opposite sex.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Heterosexual men initiating verbal communication with a female stranger = harassment.

I now identify as a heterosexual female yet I'll still get hit with harassment charges if I initiate verbal communication with a female stranger.

Source(s): MGTOW
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.