Do colleges care if you did sports in high school, and does just doing PE look bad?

Right now I'm in cross country. My friends are transferring out of cross country once school starts, and I'm thinking of just doing PE because running isn't something I enjoy and it's not worth the effort if colleges don't care if I do a sport or PE.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No they do not care of you have played or sport or not.

Your unweighted cumulative gpa and your ACT/SAT score matter most.

They want to see a well rounded student. They like to see you have done something. Any club organization or activities are fine. As is band, orchestra or choir and theater. They like to see leadership positions in what you do. And your extra activities do not have to be at school. If you had a job after school that would count.

Playing a sport is not on your transcript.

• 2 years ago

Universities have their own track teams, debate clubs, marching bands etc. that they need to fill with incoming students, so it's always better to have something rather than nothing.

If you're interested in an Ivy League or other very competitive university, you should have at least one extracurricular activities in each of five categories: 1. athletics (team sport or club); 2. academic (e.g. debate, newspaper, science olympiad) 3. community service (e.g. key club, scouting, volunteer work); 4. student leadership (e.g. student council, student judiciary, peer leadership); and 5. fine or performing arts (e.g. band, drama club). A few ECs held for all four years of high school (which shows genuine interest) is preferable to many ECs held only for a year or two (which shows resume padding).

Ivies have their pick of students, and prefer well-rounded, interesting students to those who need to study 24/7 to keep their grades up.

Your grades are paramount, though, so if track or other ECs will cause you to struggle to maintain your grades, it's better to have higher grades (unless you're *really* good and are recruited for athletics) than the ECs. But then, don't expect to be admitted to the most competitive universities; they have plenty of students who can maintain full academic *and* EC schedules to choose from.

• 2 years ago

PE is not a deal breaker--its neutral, they are not there to judge lifestyles. And sports only impact at the highest varsity level- that you would be an asset to their team.

Lv 7
    2 years ago

Universities care more about things that cannot be lied about such as your unweighted GPA, the rigor of your coursework, and your SAT/ACT scores. They don't have time to verify mere involvement in sports. Of course, if you're looking for an athletic scholarship, then playing sports is essential.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.