What should I do about this?

Me and my husband got invited to a friend's party/dinner. We are obviously adults. And they had champagne bottles for the grown ups. I also brought my daughter with me, she's 15. There were other kids there, but they were younger than 10. And my daughter wanted to try one glass of champagne to see what it tasted like. But I didn't let her have any alcohol. Anyways there were leftover bottles at the end and my friend let me take one home. But the next day me and my husband had to work, leaving our daughter home alone. She's also an only child. Anyways when I got home I noticed she drank almost half the bottle by herself. She didn't appear to be drunk or anything, and she's usually a good kid too. Should I punish her for doing this or just leave things how they are?

• kim

Yes, she should be definitely grounded. Drinking your booze is not cool.

• Edna

You SHOULD have let your daughter have a small glass of champagne at the party. That way, she woudn't have been curious about it and about what it tasted like, and she wouldn't have wanted to drink 1/2 bottle while you & your husband were away from the home,

You should talk to your kid about alcohol. Tell her why you didn't let her sip it before, and why you especially don't want her sneaking around with it. If she feels like you are approaching her in earnest, she will be more likely to be thoughtful about how she interacts with alcohol.

She's 15. In Europe, most children have already had alcohol by this age. The reason that there's so much out-of-control drinking in North America is because parents try to forbid alcohol from their kids in extreme parameters. Giving her a sip at the party certainly wouldn't have ruined her, and it would have dealt with the curiosity she was experiencing. This way, you forbade her from trying something essentially harmless, and later left it in plain sight for her. Obviously she was going to try it!

Rather than punishing her, I think that you should explain drinking alcohol to her. Tell her that it is something normal for adults to do, but that she should wait a bit longer before drinking lots because alcohol has a greater effect on kids than adults. Explain drinking to her in a rational and calm way and quench her curiosity by letting her try things under your supervision. This will do her good later on. For example, when she goes to a party in the future, she won't be as likely to binge drink because she feels like this will be the one and only time she'll ever be able to drink because her parents will never let her.

I think you should spare the punishment, especially because she's a generally nice kid. She didn't do anything abnormally bad. Put yourself in her shoes - you would've done the exact same thing. But with a little rational discussion and empathy, you can make things easier for both of you :)

Best wishes and Good luck!

• Jerry

Depends on how you define "punish." She knows you didn't want her to have any at the party. Taking a bottle. home was a nice gesture. Grounding would be my choice, with the warning about why you didn't want her to have any that night. Having said that, at 15 one glass of champagne at a special occasion couldn't have been that "damaging." But, it's not my choice.

• Tepee

She needs to understand that she should be punished for breaking your trust and committing an illegal act of underage drinking. You would be doing her and yourself a disservice by ignoring the issue. She needs to know that she can't break the law and disobey you and get away with it.

• Eva

She was well aware that she wasn't supposed to drink it. Of course she should be punished.

Are you kidding? What happened between "I didn't let her have any alcohol." and "she drank almost half the bottle by herself" that would remotely suggest to you that she not be punished but you should just ignore it. Was your sense of parenting responsibility just on show for the party?

I suppose the lesson learned is that she can drink any alcohol she wants to in your home.

i would punish her for doing that, especially since youve already told her no

Leave things how they are.

Talk to her about it. And explain thoroughly what she did wrong and why it was wrong. And tell her the next time it happens, you WILL punish her.

We've all tried alcohol at young ages. :/ I don't think she should be punished for the first offense. Especially, since you and your husband left alcohol exposed for her to get to. -_- This is how most children get their first taste of alcohol at a young age. I had mine at age 4 because my family was constantly having parties and had beers stocked in the refrigerator. -_-

So... that's another reason why I don't think she should be punished. :o( Technically, you're at fault for leaving it around, madame.