What is the proof that "I am"?

What is the proof that "I am"? If I say "I am not" how to convince me otherwise?

"I think therefore I am" does not seem to work since you can reply to that "I am not" and "Thoughts are not".

"I" is an ego, therefore I am not. only knowledge is and there is nothing higher then that.

Its simple.... I AM ... Because ... YOU AINT....

• Leda

Your own thoughts, tactile and visual sensations, and especially emotions, sometimes pain, or relief from it, or even more the fear of total loss through unfathomable death, should be sufficient proof that

"you are", that "you live". Or you wouldn't be afraid of losing it.

Should a person insist in doubting, it would mean that 'something else' is at work in his mind which should be investigated.

• small

The proof is in your own head and you alone can know for sure that you exist. Even as you try to tell yourself that you don't exist, you still exist as the one telling.

The derivative "I am" follows the primal "It is". A proof, therefore, is locative, as regards the "I". At any given moment "I" does not supersede place. If the "I" were metaphysical instead of physical, it would not solicit a reference point. And also the grammar bears witness to this, to the dismay of Cartesians, as "I am at the fountain" is at least one thousand times more useful and intelligible than "I am." In short, self-evidency of-itself will suffice without any sort of assertion, utterance, statement, proof, ect.

• You can't ask this question if "I am not"

• P

The only existance you have is in the "now". Before then you only have memory (some people don't even have that) and memory is unreliable and unenduring. After the "now" you only have what you can construct and hope, so no guarantees there.

So if you want proof you're on your own

P

Well, unless you don't subscribe to logic, it does work to say I think therefore I am, because if you did not exist, you could not be there thinking that thought, or any thought.

• Teva

I am.

• ?

May it be acknowledgement or denial both signify the existence of a sentient self, as in form of an opinionated human being. This is the outcome of a rational thought that we able to either accept or reject, like or dislike, approve or disprove, acknowledge or deny the aspects of reality. Therefore, ‘I think therefore I am’, as you think therefore you are.

The best you could do was to try to imagine yourself non-existent, but you could not think of a way of that being so, so you wondered, what if I am not, and instead came up with a question that you could not have if you had not been.

The bottom line is if you were not you would not have had thought, sensed wonder or come up with a question. If you really weren’t you would have done nothing, instead of turning the fact of your existence into a psychological issue that could be dealt with philosophically. Now that, I have proved your existence to you, the question is, what are you going to do with the truth?