Do i need both pieces of my car key to get a replacement from the dealership if it's broken in half?

I dropped my keys while i was at work and didn't realize it broke in half until i tried to start my car. I was told i could get a replacement from the dealership but would i need both pieces of the key for them to duplicate it? I drive a chevy cobalt btw.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You need your title and the vehicle at the dealer. The parts department has a factory key cutter that can make replacement keys using the VIN. You need the tittle to prove you own the vehicle and the car at the dealer so they can program the 2 new keys to the immobilizer.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Call or walk to the nearest GM dealership. Bring your registration with you. They can make a key from your VIN number and your drivers license and your money. I think it's around $60. You can't copy half a key.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I think they can duplicate it without the pieces. they know the correct one for your model car

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

A Chevy dealer can cut a new key using information from the factory records they can get from the vehicle identification number (VIN). They don't need your old key at all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

Good Grief - even GM's keys break ????

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

They only need the VIN of your car. Bring the keys just in case.

• 2 years ago

Unless you get a new ignition, yes you will need both halves.

• 2 years ago

You should bring in the two pieces.

Keys nowadays are different for every car, that way someone doesnt accidentally steal another car that looks exactly like their own.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Take it just in case.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.