Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 years ago

Am I wrong for thinking that my parents are fiscally irresponsible?

My parents struggle with money. They rely on state benefits such as food stamps to keep food on the table. I think they struggle with money due to their awful spending habits. I may sound cold hearted and insensitive, but here’s some examples. They spent 10,000 dollars on exotic birds. (Enough money to pay rent for almost a year). They have a car payment, and it costs them 300 dollars a month to feed the birds. Meanwhile in my case, they get mad because I have 6,000 in my savings account (which is for my car) cash under my bed, and a paycheck in my checking account. But it’s because I don’t spend my money unless I have to. Am I wrong for thinking their struggles are their own fault?

No, you are not wrong to think that. In fact, you would not be wrong to label them as abusing the system. Why don't you turn them in and help bring them down to earth. ONE bird is sufficient for anyone on food stamps.

• ricky

No you are not wrong. You keep doing what your doing. Amazing, kudos to you.

• kswck2

Trollin….trollin….trollin….

There is NO WAY they spent $10,000 on birds and legally qualified for 'food stamps'. Either you are FLAT OUT LYING, or they are guilty of benefits fraud.

• Judy

Sounds like it. By the way, how old are you, and if you live with them, how much do you pay them for rent? If you are 18 or over and not paying your fair share of expenses, you are another example of their fiscal irresponsibility.

Your parents should incredibly childish and stupid. You would do well to keep your money separate and get away from them, as soon as possible. I'm guessing that someone could easily report them for bilking the system by getting the food stamps. They would also be in trouble for fraud.

No, your parents are in the wrong for how they manage their money. You’re in the right for how you manage yours.

Yes, your parents are fiscally irresponsible.

• GTB

You are on target. You manage yourself. Your parents are not able to do so and this is a lack of maturity and discipline.

• You're not wrong. Unfortunately, a lot of people and the American economy all use the same financial model as your parents.