Should I become a doctor or a firefighter?

I am a 17 year old girl, getting ready to pick the college I want to go to, but one big thing is that I don't know what to major in. All my life, I've wanted to become a firefighter. it's always been my dream careers, and still is. Last year I went through a firefighter program in my high school and learned all about it. I learned hands on things like flowing water, hydrant tagging, hose laying/rolling, extrication, etc. I went on ride along with local fire departments and I loved it. Also, I learned about the ems side of it. I became bLS certified. After learning all the medical related stuff, it made me realize that I enjoyed it a lot. I have always thought of becoming a physician but never thought I was really into it. But now it's just another option for me, and I'm torn between what I want to do. This year, in high school I'm taking an ems course and I will become emt-b certified. I just wanted to know everyone's opinions on my problem. should I become a firefighter/paramedic? should I become a nurse? a doctor? specifically, if I became a doctor I would specialize in sports medicine, because I really enjoy sports - and as an athlete myself - I like to see athletes get back in the game. Thoughts?

• Diana

That is QUITE a large education and pay gap. I'm pretty sure you could always volunteer as a firefighter instead of making it your entire career.

Everyone and their mama wants to be a doctor. Over 12+ years of college education and hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt only to obtain your degree and have some parent of a snot-nosed kid tell you vaccines are bad and they know more than you because they read some article in CNN's opinion section. Fire, police, and ambulance services are sorely needed. They make a difference every single day and no one questions the value they bring to society. If you are passionate about being a fireman or paramedic, it is a well respected career that I would encourage you to pursue.

• drip

You are talking about a vast difference in education.

How are you academically? You will need a four year Bachelor degree with an extremely high GPA and take the MCAT exam. Medical school is another four years, then do your residency for another 2-4 years. Massive student loans.

Look into physical therapy for sports. You would need a Masters degree

Nursing. You can an go on for a Masters degree for sports

My friend is a full paramedic now and loves it. Training would a lots less years and cost.

Doctor for sure