Mike asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 years ago

If someone gets a medical discharge from the army national guard and it is related to mental health issues, does the army provide a second chance for this person to get treatment?

What is involved with a medical discharge from the army national guard especially if the medical problem related to mental health and or abuse of narcotics? Does the Army National Guard provide any second chances? The person that I am referring to complete it basic training and AIT

I do not have any additional details to provide at this time. Feel free to contact me if there are any questions.

• TedEx

It is extremely unlikely he will be given a second chance

They might be able to apply to the VA and get treatment there for their mental health issues. That is the "second chance" to get treatment. They are not going to get back into the service.

• martin

He's lucky they called it a medical discharge rather than dishonorable or some judgmental word. The Army doesn't fool around with narcotic abuse, but the VA hospital may take him in.