Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 years ago

if left water hose on full blast for 24 hours....how much $$ would expect to have wasted? how depends?

btw, is this a usual thing that people do from time to time ? or am I just a special idiot? how often people do this probably ? how depends?

I feel like such an idiot, it is like I just took out like what? a $ 100 bill and burned it into ashes?

my god, which state are you in? I am in Tennessee and was told that it might be around 50-70 $ more than usual for 12, 000 gallons! sounds like the state I am in is ripping us off more than anyone! And Tenneseee has many rivers and lakes and plenty of rain! it is not like it is Arizona!!

I don't understand are these usually private companies and not like city/state owned/operated? or how depends? I mean, I think it is a rip off if other places pay so little and we pay $ 50 per 12,000 gallons?

• Jenny
    Favorite Answer

I forgot to turn off the sprinkler one night and the water was running for about 10 hours before I noticed. My water usage that month was 11000 gallons... Normal usage for us was about 6000 gallons of water per month.

Do you know how much you pay per 1000 gallons of water? Our water company charges $4.20 per 1000 gallons of water but according to Google the average cost in the US is only $1.50. So, depending on how much your water company charges, it may be as little as $12-$15 extra.

• ricky

Surprisingly about $20. Depending on pressure. $35 max. My son did that, no really, wasn’t me.

• kswck2

What are the water rates in your neighborhood?

Depends on what water costs are in your area. Drought-prone states/areas charge more for water. In most homes, one can hear the water running or notice a drop in water pressure when turning on an indoor faucet. Unless one is deaf, there is no excuse for this. You are looking at a BIG water bill, next month.

1000 cf costs me $10.70. 12,000 gal = 1.6 cf ... so about $20.

Someone turned my hose on once when I was on vacation for three days. It was about an extra $150.

The thing that they get you on is not just the cost of the water, but the sewage treatment. You pay for that on ALL the water you use whether you put it on your lawn or down your toilet. It's so much cheaper to be on septic.

No you're not the only idiot who has done this, I assure you first hand. :-) I make a point of turning on a timer/alarm when I turn on the hose. I do that when I put a beer in the freezer too, by the way. Very important life lessons learned. LOL!

ETA: I live near a park and I think it was probably a homeless person. The city doesn't care whose fault it was. They offered me payment plan, oh goodie.

• Judy

Water costs vary greatly in different parts of the country. No, you're not the only person who ever did it

• pmt853

Maybe you should try this again with help from someone with better written English skills.