Anonymous

Can Americans understand how much Europeans struggle with languages ?

Americans speak English from California to New York, so I think they don't know how interesting is confronting different languages like Europeans do all the time.

I post a video showing how funny are those conversations. The woman is Italian and the man is English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq1ETLSPXlk

Youtube thumbnail

Most of them don't, since everything is labeled in the national language in these countries. A French or a Spanish person doesn't need to know any language but their own, much like Americans and English.

Some countries where the national language is not so widespread (for example, Dutch, Danish, etc) promote foreign languages like English, German or French. It's not difficult to get by in two or three languages, especially if you start learning them at school and keep using them more or less often later on life.

• Magui

I think we don't really struggle with languages that much these days... We can just speak English since it is kind of the international language nowadays.

Where I live, a crap load of Americans either speak Spanish or Korean. But yeah, English is the dominant language, from coast to coast.

no