Can a restaurant owner higher a consultant (health and safety supervisor) to inspect the restaurant on regular basis?

My question is if a restaurant owner can higher someone’s with a degree in Biomedical Sciences as a health and safety inspector to ensure that workers hygiene, safety and the restaurant condition are good and prepare the restaurant for any health inspection visits.

Note: the person does not have any licensing from the state, so they would be hired as a health and safety supervisor?

Are there any federal regulations prevent creating this job?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Sure, as long as the consultant has any necessary certifications, licenses and qualifications. State laws vary as to what might be required, but it isn't a "degree in biomedical" anything.

• John P
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Note spelling: "hire". "Higher" means "more tall".

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Sure.

Why not?

p.s. For today's free English lesson, the proper word is HIRE, not the similarly sounding, improper word HIGHER.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

This would be an asinine thing to do and a complete waste of money. No restaurant would hire someone like this. I'll tell you why.

Money, for starters.

Everything a restaurant owner needs to know can be found easily online. We used to use a checklist that we got directly from the health department and we kept up with it. I'll telly you why: it ain't rocket science.

Third: money.

Fourth: this is why a restaurant owner would hire a - get this - manager.

Fifth: money.

Sixth: the manager would know what to do.

Seventh: a restaurant hiring someone for this with a biomedical sciences degree would be complete overkill. Complete. It would also be a complete waste of time for the guy/gal with a degree. That degree could be put to use on the government level, perhaps working as a health inspector for the state, or maybe working for OSHA.

Eighth: a restaurant isn't going to waste money when they're not going to listen to them - trust me on that. Most restaraunts run by the seat of their pants. A health dept guy shows up, dings em for whatever, gives them a week to make corrections, comes back, says ok and the restaurant goes right back to violating health dept standards until they show up again in a few months.

Source(s): 25 years restaraunt biz.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I think the word you were looking for is "hire" meaning to employ not "higher" which means above. A company can hire anyone as a consultant. There are no federal regulations as to who can be a health and safety supervisor.

• -
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Your restaurant owner won't be able to afford to hire a biomedical engineer. You're looking for a retired consultant

• 2 years ago

First, learn how to spell HIRE. Plus 90% of that is just common sense, keeping things clean and not cross contaminating.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Of course.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

The owner can hire (or retain; that's a better word for a consultant) anyone they want for a pre-inspection that doesn't count, officially.

"Biomedical Sciences" degree? If that's you, and you're trying to design a business model... I don't think you've got the right qualifications. The right person would have a lot of experience in the local laws and health codes, and restaurant operations. A retired health inspector would be ideal.

Sorry, if that's not what you want to hear.

• 2 years ago

Yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.