Anonymous

How long can I go without sleep before it kills me?

For the past 5 days I have been unable to sleep at all due to chronic jerks that occur repeatedly whenever I get close to falling asleep. As soon as they happen I am wide awake again. It just started happen out of the blue 5 nights ago and has not stopped or is even showing any signs of stopping. I will never get over this and will never sleep again. How long do I have left to live?

Favorite Answer

Talk with a doctor.

Truthfully, you can go a few months. But you can get over this (It's actually called hypnogognic jerks) but you need to see a psychiatrist. I think chances are something natural caused it to manifest 5 nights ago, such as too much caffeine, exercising too late etc; but now you have it ingrained in your head that it's going to happen every time you start to fall asleep from here on out, so it is now anxiety related, and the only way through that is to see a therapist.